Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Colossians 3:23-24 - The Only One

I am reading the book "It Had to Be You" and came upon this…

"These past few days, I’ve been singing ‘Amazing Grace’ over and over again, realizing for the first time in years just how much I need that grace he’s been singing about. Never realized how much till the past few days.” “Oh?” D.J. stepped back and gave me a curious look. “Yes. I need God’s grace, but I need to grace myself sometimes too. I think I’ve been too hard on myself. Been running in performance mode to prove my worth— to myself and others. But this week I had a reality check. God wants me to stop and smell the roses. To enjoy the people in my world and to remember how much more important they are than the projects. To thank him every day for my health and to take better care of myself.”

Thompson, Janice (2010-05-01). It Had to Be You (Weddings by Bella Book #3): A Novel (p. 314). Baker Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. 

So many times we get caught up in trying to please others to the point where we may crash not only physically but also spiritually.  I remember when we first came to Willard I was trying to do everything everyone wanted of me.  It worked for a while but with traveling back and forth to Orrville five days a week it didn't work for long.  The Lord gave me Colossians 3:23-24.

23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

It was one of the hardest things for me to learn but I finally put it into practice that the Lord is the Only One I need to please.  He is the Only One that will determine my eternity.  Therefore, He is the Only One that I need to answer to.  I still need to be accountable to certain people but I make sure He is the One who directs my steps.  I no longer make a to-do list each and every day because I allow Him to lead me in what needs done.

As life has recently went through some changes, I've had to back away from some things.  It has only been after praying about things that I know what I need to say "no" to and what I need to continue doing.  I have such a peace in my decisions.  I know that peace comes through my listening to the Lord.  

I looked up the definition of the word grace and found many but am blessed by these

a :  unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification
b :  a virtue coming from God
c :  a state of sanctification enjoyed through divine grace

I am so thankful for grace from the Lord.  But I am also thankful for the way He has directed my path to be able to understand the importance of allowing Him total control of my life including teaching me to not be too hard on myself.  I am human and I will make mistakes.  But mistakes are not what mold me.  People are not what mold me.  Only the Lord is the One to mold me.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the knowledge You have opened my eyes to.  Thank You for loving me enough to put me into this relationship with You.  Father, I pray You will open more eyes to this way of living.  I pray for more believers to seek You in a deeper way.  I pray You will become who You need to be in people's lives.  I also pray people will get off of the roller coaster of life that seems to go on and on and allow You to take them into Your Presence.  Thank You Jesus for being My Only One!  Amen.

No comments: