Thursday, August 7, 2014

Romans 12:1 - "Casual Christian"


I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, 






which is your spiritual worship.  Romans 12:1

The other day I was thinking about how I was feeling and couldn't quite describe it.  I prayed and the Lord gave me the word "unsettled."  I looked up the definition…

(ŭn-sĕt'ld)   adj.
  1. Not in a state of order or calmness; disturbed: these unsettled times.
  2. Likely to change or vary; variable: unsettled weather.
    1. Not determined or resolved: an unsettled issue.
    2. Uncertain or doubtful: were still unsettled with respect to their future plans.
  3. Not paid or adjusted; outstanding: an unsettled bill.
  4. Not populated; uninhabited: unsettled territory.
  5. Not fixed or established: an unsettled lifestyle.

With so many parts of the definition I decided I would break it down.



  1. Not in a state of order or calmness; disturbed: these unsettled times.
  2. Not fixed or established: an unsettled lifestyle.
  3. It never seems like our life is in a state of order or calmness.  But I guess when I think about it over the last eight weeks I've spent a week in Nashville on a mission trip with the teens; a week in Mount Vernon for District Assembly and Camp Meeting; and then last week VBS.  That would definitely not attribute to a state of order or calmness or a fixed lifestyle.  Although, I could say we have a fixed lifestyle.  We serve the Lord.  Whatever craziness happens in doing so is part of this life.

  4. Likely to change or vary; variable: unsettled weather.
Once again, no two days are alike…there are always variables.  

    1. Not determined or resolved: an unsettled issue.
  1. Not paid or adjusted; outstanding: an unsettled bill.
  2. Not populated; uninhabited: unsettled territory.
  3. I can't think of any unsettled issues; definitely don't have any unsettled bills; and I don't think there is any unsettled territory.

    1. Uncertain or doubtful: were still unsettled with respect to their future plans.
  4. There is no uncertainty or doubt in my future.  I know I was put on this earth to be the Lord's servant.  I also know when I leave this earth I will be living with Him in eternity.

After breaking down this definition and praying I still feel the same.  Then I read a devotional by Christopher Dryden and became excited over this unsettled spirit I have.  

Thank God, then, for the work of the Holy Spirit that convinces, convicts and converts.  I believe an element in which this work is done is through having an unsettled spirit.  Everything on the surface maybe going swimmingly.  Marriage is sustained, children are well looked after, the church is growing and the job is going well.  Again, however, this is not the definition of a blessed life.  Somewhere deep within there are stirrings of disquiet.
The pursuit for true holiness might be sidestepped for the practical progress happening in the church.  Things might be dealt with superficially but root issues never addressed.  Relationships are not developing because of the busyness of life.  Concern and compassion for the lost, the sick, the homeless, the marginalised is given lip service and nominal service.  God may just be calling you some place else to not become attached to the material settings and deepen faith and trust in Him alone.
Some say the only constant is change and if we’re looking to grow and become conformed to the image of Christ, then there must be a part of that which will not content itself with the routine way of life.  There must be something in there that allows you to look back and see how and where you’ve grown.  That aspect of the work of the Holy Spirit can be seen in the blessing of an unsettled spirit.  It is precisely there to be disruptive so that true order and peace can be established under the headship of Christ – and that might require drastic rearranging of life furniture, or worse still – for us – the complete overhaul of life furniture.
The state of the unsettled spirit is not one that is discontent with the daily provisions of God – but it seeks not to take those for granted. It is aware that the world we live in can never be right until God’s Kingdom is fully established on it and until then there’s always work to do.  Work in personal sanctification, work in mutual edification, work in external service, work in foreign missions, work in family development.  Always work to be done until Jesus come.  Not to say we make ourselves right to God because of the work – but it is to say that because of the completed work on the Cross our act of gratitude is to carry on the work on earth until He comes.  The blessing of the unsettled spirit is that it will truly find its home and settlement in the will and purpose of God for life.
Woo hoo!  I am encouraged!  I was thinking my unsettled spirit was a negative when in fact it can be a positive!  I love seeing the cup half full instead of half empty!  

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the unsettling in my Spirit.  Lord, I don't want to be anything other than what You want of me.  Father, stretch me….grow me….enable me.  I don't want to be a "Casual Christian" nor do I want to be lukewarm.  The desire of my heart is to be a shining light for You.  Lord, once again I pray for more of You and less of me.  Thank You Jesus for being My Purpose.  Amen.








No comments: