Friday, August 8, 2014

Hebrews 10:19-25 - "We Believe"

I was awake several times during the night and each time I had the song "We Believe" going through my head.  I can't imagine going through life without having the Lord to believe in.  As I was praying with one the other day I asked if they had a church home.  They told me they didn't but they still believed in the Lord.  I explained to them the importance of gathering with other believers in order to keep our walk with the Lord strengthened.  I'm not sure I convinced them on this issue but at least I planted a seed.  

In the tenth chapter of the book of Hebrews it reads…

19 Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
I love the words Matthew Henry writes about this passage…
Believers are to consider how they can be of service to each other, especially stirring up each other to the more vigorous and abundant exercise of love, and the practice of good works. The communion of saints is a great help and privilege, and a means of stedfastness and perseverance. We should observe the coming of times of trial, and be thereby quickened to greater diligence. There is a trying day coming on all men, the day of our death.

"The communion of saints is a great help and privilege, and a means of steadfastness and perseverance."  Woo hoo!  Yes!  When we gather as a body of believers, we are not only strengthened in our faith through one another but we also help one another through encouragement and through example.  When a fellow believer sees how we lean upon the Lord during a trying time, they will be encouraged to keep on pressing on.  We also can be built up knowing other believers are praying for us.  I was so blessed with our corporate prayer time in knowing my brothers and sisters had the desire in their heart to pray.  We will see answers to prayers as we are faithful.  

We will see "…the gates of hell…will not prevail…for the power of God has torn the veil…"  And it all comes back to believing.  
We believe in God the Father
We believe in Jesus Christ
We believe in the Holy Spirit
And He's given us new life
We believe in the Crucifixion
We believe that He conquered death
We believe in the resurrection
And He's coming back again
We believe

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the desire in my heart to believe in You.  Father, so many people have an issue with believing in something they can't see.  But if they would look around they would see You everywhere.  Father, open eyes that need opened.  Not just for those who don't believe but also for those who are living a double life half-way with You and half-way in the world.  When I stop and think about it, they really can't live half-way in both because they truly can't live with You when they are allowing the world to be their god.  Father, I fear for their eternal lives.  Would You please use me to make a difference in their lives?  Would You please give me the right words and/or actions that will make them want to live a life with only You?  Thank You Jesus for being the One I Believe In.  Amen.


No comments: