Friday, August 22, 2014

Philippians 4:13 - Compassion Fatigue Day 2

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  Philippians 4:13

Compassion fatigue….what is it?  I'm not sure what the technical definition is but I think it's when you give and give and give of yourself to the point of being fatigued.  How do you deal with it when the situations keep coming your way that you are needed?  How do you shut down your body when you need to keep going?  

As I look back upon the last eight months, I see how the Lord provided for us time after time in this area.  Our last minute, very unplanned cruise in February/March was because the Lord knew we needed it to get through some tough days in April and May.  Once again, the last minute, very unplanned four days in a cabin in the woods of Kentucky was because the Lord knew we needed our tanks full before these days.  As I think about all the times I've planned time away and put hours and hours into the planning process it is much easier to allow the Lord to take care of such things!

Minutes after getting up this morning as I was preparing food for the funeral dinner later today we received the call of a dear lady in our church who passed.  She had struggled with leukemia for way longer than the doctors ever predicted.  But one thing that could be said about her was that she was a fighter.  Every step of the way.  In the last month she had came to a few church activities and services.  She even went to the County Fair!  That's the way she rolled.  This 80+ year old lady put me to shame at times with all her energy.  I have such fond memories of her.  I will never forget an ice cream social we had at the parsonage right after we came to Willard.  We had only been here a couple of weeks and were still trying to get to know people.  I didn't remember seeing her before but she came with her bunny slippers on and sat in my rocking chair with a smile on her face just watching people pretty much the whole evening.  It wasn't long before she was at every service and activity, especially if food were involved!  LOL  I will never forget the time we took the Caravan children swimming at Holiday Lakes.  Some of them had never been in a lake before, only in a pool.  She had so much fun with them.  It is memories like these and the knowledge that she is in the arms of Jesus that make her death a bit easier for me.  

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the strength You gave me yesterday and the strength You will give me in the days ahead.  I praise You for all the ways You take care of us.  I praise You for the way You direct our steps.  Thank You Jesus for being My Tank Filler.  Amen.

No comments: