Wednesday, August 27, 2014

II Timothy 1:7 - Hedge of Protection

God does not give us a spirit that makes us afraid.  But He gives us a spirit of power, love and self-control.  II Timothy 1:7

This verse was the first thing that came to my mind this morning.  My clock was set for 4:30 because I had to take someone to Bucyrus for surgery but I awoke at 4:17 to this verse.  My first thought was, “Oh no!  What is today going to bring?”  My second thought was, “I need prayers of protection.”  I don’t know if it was from the fatal accident yesterday that made me apprehensive of driving at this time of the morning or what but I instantly had fear in my heart.  I prayed and asked the Lord to help me to stand on II Timothy 1:7.  I wondered if I should wake Doc and ask him to go with me but decided against it.  I did wake him to tell him I was leaving and when he prayed for me he prayed for a “hedge of protection” over me.  Afterward I told him I had II Timothy 1:7 in my mind when the Lord woke me this morning and appreciated the prayer.

When we pulled into the hospital, I told them I wanted to pray with them before they went in because I was going back home until time to pick them up.  After I prayed, he prayed.  I was blown away when the exact words were used.  He prayed a “hedge of protection” over me.  I immediately got the Holy Spirit goosebumps.  Wow!  

As I drove back home it seemed like the fog was worse but maybe it was just my imagination.  I do know I had a peace about my spirit in such a mighty way.  When I go back to pick them up later today, I know I will continue to have that “hedge of protection” around me.  And for that I am so grateful.

We don't always know when people pray for us.  I know many are praying for Doc and I as we minister to yet another grieving family.  I was thinking yesterday about how the Lord has us where we are, at this particular time, for a reason.  We are called to be whatever He desires of us.  Sometimes my tank goes below empty as I minister, especially when the deaths come so close together.  In some cars when you are running out of gas there is a buzzer or a light that comes on.  Yesterday was my "filler up day" where I was going to rest and relax.  That was my plan but not the Lord's plan.  When we received another call, we went to be with the family.  After we returned home I began to think about the day.  It didn't happen as I planned but I'm thankful I had enough strength to do as the Lord desired.  That made me think about how He knows what we can and can't do.  He knows when our tank is empty.  When we don't have words, He gives words.  When we don't feel like we can continue on physically, emotionally or mentally, He gives the strength to do so.  I use to do things on my own whenever I thought they needed done.  I am so thankful I have surrendered to Him and allow Him to guide my steps and words.  It is through that surrender that I can do what I do.

Dear Jesus,

Thank You for prayers.  Thank You for people who pray for me.  I know there are many praying for us during these tough days.  Most of all, Lord, I want to thank You for my surrendered heart.  If it weren't for that, I would be a mess.  Father, be with this family as they grieve.  Not only this family from the tragic death yesterday but also all of the other families going through the grieving process.  Lord, thank You for giving me "...a spirit of power, love and self-control" as found in II Timothy 1:7.  Thank You Jesus for being The One I Surrender To.  Amen.

No comments: