Monday, August 4, 2014

Matthew 5:13-14 - "Do Something"

Matthew 5:13-15 (NIV)

Salt and Light

13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.
14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

I woke up this morning with Matthew West's song "Do Something" in my mind.  I thought about the people in the Toledo area with the water issue.  Then my thoughts turned to the article I read about the homeless mother buying groceries.  So many people who are hurting for not only their physical needs but also their emotional, mental, financial and most importantly spiritual needs. 

I know I can't fix everyone or their problems.  I also know the Lord doesn't expect me to.  He expects me to be obedient to Him.  When He puts someone before me with a need, I am expected to be His hands and feet.  Sometimes though the enemy puts people before me.  When opportunities come my way for a need, I pray first to make sure it's from the Lord.  When the opportunities come from the enemy, my efforts will be for naught.  I will be enabling a person instead of helping them.  

For some people it's easier to give money than it is to give themselves.  When our church left the building four years ago and went out into the community, there were people that left their comfort zone.  When it was all said and done, they testified to being blessed by the experience.  Anytime we are the hands and feet of Jesus we will be blessed.  He wants to use us.  The desire of His heart is for us to have the desire in our heart to do as He asks of us.  

Dear Jesus,
I pray for Your direction for me as I strive to be salt and light for You.  I loved the VBS song we did this week that went "I want to shhhake it, shhhake it, shhhake it…shhhine it…to spread God's love around."  Lord, I beg You to never let me lose my saltiness or brightness for You.  Father, bless my efforts to be Your hands and feet.  Thank You Jesus for being My Creator.  Amen.


No comments: