Sunday, November 15, 2020

Romans 15:13 - "Oceans"


I was reminded of Paul's words of Romans 15:13 yesterday at Kirstin's Celebration of Life Service. These words encourage all who trust in God to allow Him to be what they need every day of life. They encourage us to allow Him to fill us with joy and peace in the midst of the storms of life. They encourage us to allow the Holy Spirit to fill us to overflowing with His empowerment. They are exactly what we need to hold onto when we feel like we cannot take another disappointment to come our way. I was thinking this morning about the word 'joy' and what it means to me. Jesus Others Yourself. When we have this as our focus, we will have joy in our heart. Focusing on God and others takes our focus off our own problems. God puts people in our lives to encourage us and love on us. As He does, we need to allow Him to work through these people to heal our hurts. The words spoken to us are especially instrumental in our healing. One of the things helping me in my healing process is having people share stories about what Doc meant to them. Last night I was in conversation with one of 'my boys' who did life with us as a young teen into adulthood. He is struggling since Doc's death. I'm grateful for that. I'm hoping those struggles will draw him closer to the Lord. In the conversation we talked about me being a pastor. I told him I love to preach and love on people. His response was, "I know. I've experienced that love." That encouraged me greatly to keep on doing what God has called me to do. Yesterday as words were spoken about how Kirstin loved God I thought about the witness she gave through her smile. You could see joy oozing out of her and could feel God's love through her. I thought about how she and Corey made us feel welcome to the district at our first pastor's retreat here in South Carolina. I pray when I die words of this caliber will be said about my life. This morning I was thinking about how some people think pastors have to be nice because of their position. Some think pastors are fake in the way they treat people. I am sure there are some pastors who struggle with loving with God's love. Perhaps their struggles are because they are not living in His love themselves. Or perhaps they have allowed the enemy an open door into their life that makes it be they cannot love with God's love. I am praying for all believers, especially pastors, to realize His love and live it out to the fullest. I am praying for all pastors to allow God to use them for His glory as they stay focused on Him. Joy, peace, and hope are attributes we all can experience when we die to self and allow Him to be in control of every aspect of life. 

Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Saviour

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Your joy, peace, and hope in my life! Thank You for keeping my focus on You! Thank You for these words of Paul in Romans 15:13 that encourage me to trust You! Father, this morning I am praying for all believers but especially pastors to experience You to the fullest capacity. I pray all of us will get to the end of ourselves so You can be glorified in and through us. Lord, be with all pastors who are preaching today not to speak one single word unless it is what You desire. I pray You will be glorified through my words and the words of all preaching. Father, I continue to pray for Corey with Kirstin's death and for Jennie and her family with her grandfather's death. Praise Your Holy Name they are with You. There is such comfort in knowing Doc is with You. Oh how I miss him but I am so blessed when people share stories about him. I was blessed yesterday as I did a 'normal' thing of ours while in the Charleston area. Lord, cleanse me so You can fill me so I can live out Romans 15:13. Thank You for being My Joy, Peace, and Hope! Amen.

1 comment:

Sandi said...

"Jesus Others Yourself. When we have this as our focus, we will have joy in our heart."

So true. No one is ever made happy by focusing on self.