Monday, November 2, 2020

John 13:34-35 - "Love God, Love People"

My heart is breaking with all of the hurt people are going through. Some of them have lost loved ones; some are dealing with disease/illness in their bodies or their loved ones; some have spouses who have left their marriage; some are so lonely they do not want to continue living...the list goes on and on. I am grateful for the ones who have the Hope of Christ but there are some on my list that do not. That makes my heart hurt even more. The tears do not want to stop this morning as I pray. Oh how I wish Jesus would come back! But then I think I am being selfish in thinking that because of ones still not in relationship with Him. He keeps taking me to John 13:34-35. I know there is a reason for this to be continually before me. In the NIV it reads:

“A new command I give you: Love one another.As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

I was reading the background of these verses and found it interesting the word new is not used in the same context as we normally think. In the ancient Greek it implies 'freshness or the opposite of outworn' rather than being something just brought about. I think we all need freshness in our spiritual lives to realize God's will. We get tired of 'doing' ministry and need reminded 'doing stuff' is not what being a believer is all about. Following the commandment Jesus gave in John 13:34-35 is where 'freshness' will be realized. Woo hoo! God continues to bring these verses before me for a reason. I continue to seek His will and seeking what He has in store for me through these verses will continue. 

I am reminded of the words to Danny Gokey's song Love God, Love People.

I've been running in circles
Jumping the hurdles
Getting caught in that rush of doing so much
I'm feeling kinda worn out
All this checking the boxes
Trying to be flawless
Has me spinning my head, catching my breath
Too afraid to slow down

I tell myself to keep this up
That God wants more than just my love
But I've been complicating things
It's just like me to overthink

Gotta keep it real simple, keep it real simple
Bring everything right back to ground zero
'Cause it all comes down to this
Love God and love people (People)
We're living in a world that keeps breakin'
But if we want to find a way to change it
It all comes down to this
Love God and love people

Dear Jesus,

Thank You for once again bringing John 13:34-35 before me today! Thank You for loving on me so greatly! Thank You for the blessings of yesterday with my friends from Kentucky driving down and taking me to lunch and spending time with me! It was such a blessing to take a drive with them. I miss the times Doc and I would take a drive. It sure isn't something you want to do alone. I made the statement yesterday about how I never would have thought nor desired to be a widow at the age of 59. My heart is breaking for Corey who is so much younger and facing being a widower. I pray people will gather around him and love on Him with Your love. I pray people will gather around Alyssa, Desiree, and Chloe as they have their Momma's visitation today. May all of these ones going through great loss feel Your presence. I pray for young Kate who continues to go through medical testing; Kat Kay's family as her husband and son continue the healing process; and so many others going through 'tough' days. Lord, cleanse me so I can be Your servant in a better way today. May I not only hear You but walk in obedience to Your will. May You be greater than anything that comes my way. Thank You Jesus for being My Freshness! Amen.

 

No comments: