Friday, June 6, 2014

Romans 8:28-32; Deuteronomy 30:6 - "There Will Be A Day"

As I sat waiting on a friend who had surgery yesterday I looked around at so many hurting people.  I thought about how some were so anxious while others seemed to be at peace with their circumstances.  If I could have known, I would imagine the ones at peace knew Jesus.  My friend was at peace as she went into surgery.  I pray with many people before surgeries and see many emotions but I do believe she was the most peaceful I have ever prayed with. 

As I was praising God for His peace within her I started thinking about the ones around me…

  • the mother who was there for more tests/procedures due to her cancer….her husband and their little preschooler…
  • the older gentleman who was so anxious he couldn't even sit still…
  • the teenage boy who had brought his Mom for foot surgery…
  • the huge group of family and friends who were awaiting news of their loved one's surgery…palliative care…
  • the wife who was there for an out-patient procedure and her husband who was there to support her…
  • the father and sons who were waiting on their wife/mother to get out of surgery who didn't want to deal with her after the surgery…
So many people…so many emotions…so many lives in turmoil.  I pray for each of these situations to have Jesus as their strength.  I pray for people to allow "bad" situations to turn into "good" situations by allowing the Lord to come into their hearts. 


Romans 8:28-32 reads...

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. 29For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; 30 and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified. 31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? 32 He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things?

I love the promise found in verse twenty-eight.  "…God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose."  Woo hoo!  I know not everyone loves God so this verse doesn't apply to those who don't love Him.  But if we love Him aren't we "…called according to His purpose."  I read an article by a pastor that said not everyone is called by God.  I disagree with him.  I believe that everyone who believes in the Lord is called by Him to be His servants.  

I also believe that when we become a believer it doesn't mean our life will be a bed of roses. The Lord uses tough times to draw us closer to Him.  Our faith deepens when we have to depend more upon Him and less on ourselves.  When we turn to Him, we can depend upon the promise of Deuteronomy 30:6.  The Lord your God will circumcise your hearts and the hearts of your descendants, so that you may love him with all your heart and with all your soul, and live.  The word circumcise means to purify.  The Lord purifies us when we give our hearts to Him.  

We must remember to ask Him to continually purify us.  In order to live a holy life we must die to self and allow the Lord full reign over our lives.  That's where the peace comes in during unsettling circumstances.  That's where the love of Jesus blesses us in abundance.  When we are purified by the Lord, allowing Him to use us we will be blessed.  

This morning the Lord brought Jeremy Camp's "There Will Be A Day" to my heart.  The one part goes


"I know the journey seems so long
You feel you're walking on your own
But there has never been a step
Where youve walked out all alone
Troubled soul dont lose your heart
Cause joy and peace he brings
And the beauty thats in store
Outweighs the hurt of lives sting"

We are never alone…no matter what we are dealing with.  The song continues…

"There will be a day with no more tears
No more pain, and no more fears
There will be a day when the burdens of this place
Will be no more, we'll see Jesus face to face
But until that day, we'll hold on to you always"



I truly believe there will be a lot of people surprised when they meet "…Jesus face to face…" On one hand I feel sorry for those who say they love Him yet won't allow Him to purify them.  On the other hand they know what it will take to spend eternity with the Lord but yet they don't want to give up worldly things for Him.  I am saddened when I see people like this.  My heart breaks that I won't spend eternity with them.  I continue to pray for doors to be opened that need opened and doors to be closed that need closed in people's lives. 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for loving me enough to not only die on the cross for me but also to purify me each and every day.  I praise Your Holy Name for the peace I saw in my friend yesterday.  I also am so grateful for the peace You give to me in unsettling times.  Lord, I pray for more people to not only give their hearts to You but for believers to seek a life of purification.  I pray for the ones who have walked away from You to return.  I pray for the ones who are still holding onto their calendars, checkbooks, and family members to turn their entire lives over to You.  Thank You Jesus for being My Purifier!  Amen.





No comments: