Sunday, June 15, 2014

James 1:2-4 - "Overcomer"



Today has been a rough day emotionally.  I thought I was "ok" until Kylee and Brayden started singing Mandisa's "Overcomer" and I lost it.  Thankfully Doc was sitting beside me at that point in the service so he held me and I cried my eyes out.  My Daddy was an "Overcomer" and because of that I strive to be one too.  He went through over fifty surgeries, beat cancer a few times, broken neck from being hit by a train, gunshot wound…the list goes on and on.  But no matter what he went through he taught me to persevere.  My Daddy lived by James 1:2-4.

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

My Daddy stood on such a strong faith while he was on this earth.  It is because of that faith that I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, he is with Jesus today.  When his body became too tired of fighting, he received a perfect body, "…complete, lacking in nothing."  I praise the Lord for this knowledge.  

I have been told by many people that I should be grateful for having such a wonderful relationship with my earthly father because it enables me to have a closer relationship with my Heavenly Father.  I am grateful but it doesn't take away the pain of missing him.  How I treasure the morning phone calls and hearing his voice.  "Sheila Babe, how are you doing today?"  He was always concerned with others and not himself.  

As I reflect back on things I learned from my Daddy, there are so many neat memories I have.  I was sharing with Doc about how he taught me how to cook when going to a potluck.  "You take enough for the whole family to eat.  You take a complete meal so if something happens you will be prepared to feed the family."  I remember one day those words came into play in our lives.  There was going to be a church picnic to celebrate the two hundredth birthday of the United States.  It wasn't going to be a typical potluck.  We were told to bring enough to share with one or two other families who we would sit with.  My Momma was going through surgeries at the time so I was doing the majority of the cooking.  I made:  meatloaf, potatoes, green beans, apple sauce and a chocolate cake.  The family who sat with us brought a bowl with a can of corn in it.  On the way home, Daddy said, "Now you see why we always are prepared!"  A lesson I will never forget!

After my MS diagnosis, my Daddy struggled from time to time when I struggled.  He did everything he could to help us in anyway possible to make life easier.  After moving to Willard, he would drive me home and spend the night in order to help with my commute back to Smuckers.  That's the way he lived his life.  Helping others.

The words to "Overcomer" suited him so well.  He did "Stay in the fight 'til the final round…"  Praise God!  He taught me I am capable of doing anything I set my mind to as long as the Lord is my focus.  For that I am so very grateful.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for my earthly father who loved me so much while on this earth but also shares his love with me now that he's gone through the memories I have.  I praise You, Father, for giving me so many years with him.  I know there were times during my life he could have been taken from this earth but You chose to give me more time with him.  Father, I also thank You for reminding me this morning that not only was my earthly father an "Overcomer" but I also am.  Lord, thank You for my husband during the service and Jack after the service who held me and let me cry today when I broke down.  Thank You for Brandy who prayed for me yesterday and for Marlene who encouraged me today.  Father, You are so awesome in how You care for me.  Happy Father's Day to You and to my earthly father who is with You.  Thank You Jesus for being My Father!  Amen.



No comments: