Thursday, December 14, 2023

Psalm 37:4 - "Different Kind of Christmas"


Yesterday was such a blessing with the "Giving Project" at Robert Smalls Academy with the kindergarten children and preschoolers. It is one of my favorite times in ministry. I love getting hugs from so many of them. The teachers are so appreciative of what we do for the children which is a blessing too. I thought about Psalm 37:4 as I reflected upon the day. God knew how important it was for me to be there yesterday. He also knew how important it is for me to have surgery. When He opened the door for tomorrow to be the surgery date, it took care of both of these desires of my heart. Yesterday was a tough day physically yet God was my strength through every moment. He gave me rest time in the morning before leaving which empowered my physical body to continue on. When it was over, He gave me rest again for the remainder of the day. I thanked Him for the leftovers for dinner so neither of us had to cook and for all Doug did throughout the day with the hurricane shutters being installed and the septic getting pumped out. As I think about tomorrow I wonder if I have everything done that needs done. Did I forget anything? I am disappointed I did not get some Christmas baking done and of course I am disappointed our trip to Ohio had to be postponed. It will be weird to not be in Orrville when Paul, Lizzy, and Miss Bella are there. It will also be weird to not be going to Momma's house to be with her. There have been other years when Christmas was different in one way or another. My Daddy's last Christmas on earth was different with us gathering for a meal at the church and then each family going over to their house to see him. My first Christmas after Doc and Mordecei left this earth was a tough one. I was still in the contraption for my broken arm from my fall. I remember baking cookies with Momma with both of us using our 'good' arms. We laughed so much. I am so thankful for the memories made with her. Once again, I am reminded of Psalm 37:4. When we keep our focus on Him, we will realize blessings in abundance. It does not mean life will be without difficulties. It means we will see the cup 'half full' instead of 'half empty' during such times. There is always a positive in every situation. Sometimes it takes looking for it a little harder than other times. Sometimes it may even be hard to see yet when God is in control it can be found. Doug reminded me yesterday of just how blessed I am with so many people praying for me. He told me he is amazed at the support system I have here. I told him my Momma always said she didn't have to worry about me because she knew I was loved and being taken care. Moving to South Carolina away from  family was a bold move yet knowing God was in control gave peace in my spirit. Staying in South Carolina after Doc died was another bold move but once again I knew God was in control and the peace was with me. As I go into surgery tomorrow I am at peace with whatever lies ahead. My prayer is for a 'textbook surgery' as Doc used to pray for people. My prayer is also for no 'c' to be found. If either of these prayers aren't answered in the way I desire, it will be OK because God is in control. I will continue to Take delight in the Lord... The result of such living will be ...he will give you the desires of your heart. I know there are many who are struggling with the holidays due to the loss of a loved one. I continue to pray for all who are hurting. I am reminded of a song Mark Schultz sings called "Different King of Christmas"...

It's time to put the candles in the windows, the lights upon the tree
It's time to fill this house with laughter like it used to be
Just because you're up in heaven, doesn't mean you're not near
It's just a different kind of Christmas
It's just a different kind of Christmas this year

Dear Jesus, Thank You for Loretta, Leslie, Cait, and Carol who helped with the 'Giving Project' yesterday and for the blessings of the time with the children! Thank You for Doug taking care of things at home! Thank You for the memories made with my family for past Christmas'! Cleanse me so You can fill me so people will see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. I pray healing over many going through difficult days. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Doug's sister Jackie; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; Brooklyn; April; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Mike's sister; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; a young girl in our community; Audrey; Mr Mullet; Marybeth's friend; David; Dave and Carol with his treatments; Dan; and Ray. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; Debbie and her family; Mr. John; Darrell; Mallory and Baby Zion; Sandra; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Thank You for the safe travels You provided for Bob and Beth yesterday! Thank You for being My Delight! Amen. 

No comments: