Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Psalm 34:18-20 - "This Is Christmas"


Every time I turn around there is a reminder of my dear Momma. She loved Christmas and always strived to make it as good as possible for everyone around her. My love for baking Christmas cookies comes from watching her as I grew up. She put in many hours making cut-out cookies and then decorating them. I remember one year when I was in grade school of her making each one of the children a santa claus cookie. In the many years I made fifty dozen cookies to share she helped in my kitchen. Another tradition she instilled in me was sending Christmas cards. As I was finishing up making cards Doug asked me if I always did them. I shared with him how last year Momma didn't have the money to do cards and I knew it was breaking her heart. I bought the cards and stamps so she could send them out instead of doing my own. Her emotions when I told her was priceless. Another tradition she passed down was having people around her table for Christmas dinner. It didn't matter if it were a crowd or just a couple as long as there were people. I am thankful for her friend Wanda who spent many times around her table. When I moved to South Carolina, holiday meals were different but I always try to include people around my table especially if they have no family around. Christmas music was always playing in the house when I was growing up and continues to be played today. Our Christmas tree is decorated with meaningful ornaments and topped with an angel made out of one of my Grandma's hankies. Icicles or tinsel are the last thing to be put on just as my Momma did on her trees. Presents under the tree became fewer as Momma aged but they were important to her. In my Daddy's last years I would pick up little gifts for 'the girls' of the family for him to give just from him. My parents taught me so much in life with sharing being on the top of the list. The most important thing they taught me was a saying I frequently say this time of year. It is not about the presents under the tree but about His presence in our life. They taught me the true meaning of Christmas is not just for one day a year or one season but it needs to be three hundred and sixty five days a year. I love when people share stories of how God has been so close to them in difficult times. I also love when people share how my parents blessed them over the years. They were so good at blessing others through the Lord. We did not always have much materially but we sure were blessed by God in so many ways. When I received this picture from Cheryl of Momma's Christmas cactus blooming, I was so blessed. Momma would call me the first day a bloom started so excited that it would be in bloom for Christmas. (One thing I did not inherit from her was keeping plants alive...lol.) As I reflect this morning on all the things I learned from her and my Daddy i am reminded of David's words of Psalm 34:18 that encourage me to remember the Lord is always with me. He has taken my tears, dried them, and given me the strength to continue on through many difficult days. I am also blessed by verses nineteen and twenty in The Passion TranslationEven when bad things happen to the good and godly ones, the Lord will save them and not let them be defeated by what they face. God will be your bodyguard to protect you when trouble is near. Not one bone will be broken. I was reminded yesterday in a conversation about how God knows the outcome of December 15. No matter what lies ahead He already has things taken care of. Praise His Holy Name! I have the song "This Is Christmas?" on my mind this morning as I reflect on Christmas' in the past and feeling very blessed in knowing the real Reason for The Season!

What is Christmas?
If there never was a Savior wrapped in a manger
What is Christmas without Christ?

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the opportunities You gave me yesterday to love with Your love! Thank You for the ones ahead today! Thank You for an impromptu conversation in Dollar Tree with a lady going through some difficult times! May she seek Your strength. Thank You for Doug taking Jack to Charleston and for his good report! Cleanse me so You can fill me so people will see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. I pray Psalm 34:18 over many going through difficult days. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Doug's sister Jackie; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Beth; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; Brooklyn; April; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Mike's sister; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; a young girl in our community; Audrey; Mr Mullet; Marybeth's friend; David; Dave and Carol with his treatments; Dan; and Ray. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; Debbie and her family; Mr. John; Darrell; Mallory and Baby Zion; Sandra; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Thank You for being My Reason For The Season! Amen. 



No comments: