Thursday, February 27, 2014

Psalm 91 - Angels Around Us

I was reminded yesterday of a conversation I experienced a few years back.  I had a little girl sitting with me at church one Sunday morning.  She was probably seven or eight.  That particular Sunday we didn't have Children's Church and since she came by herself to church she sat with me for the service.  I will never forget the look on her face as she talked with me after church.  The conversation went something like this…

HER:  Sheila, did you see them?
ME:  See who?
HER:  The angels.
ME:  What?
HER:  The angels.  They were  above Pastor Doc while he was preaching.
ME:  No, I didn't see them.  I bet they were beautiful.
HER:  Oh, yes!  There were five of them. 
ME:  That's so cool that God gave this to you.
HER:  Well of course He did.  He loves me.

She was a special little girl who had cerebral palsy but also had the determination to not allow it to stop her from doing anything.  She had a little brother born with it too.  His life was different though.  The disease was more progressed and he never was able to live a normal life.  I will never forget seeing her stand at his casket.  She was so proud of him as she told him she would see him in heaven.

At the time of the conversation, I wondered if the angels she saw were there protecting Doc or what their purpose was.  As we were talking about it today Doc said it could have been they were messengers for the Lord bringing him words to speak.  I just think it's so cool to think about on so many levels.  First of all, that the Lord gave the vision to a little special needs girl.  Secondly, the comfort in knowing God takes care of His people whether it be for protection or guidance.  I didn't remember that there were five angels until this morning.  As I thought back on the conversation, the number five stuck out.  I looked up some information about the number five in the Bible and came across this cool writing…

"Five is four plus one (4+1). Now we have a further revelation of a People called out from mankind, redeemed and saved, to walk with God from earth to heaven. Hence, Redemption follows creation. Inasmuch as in consequence of the fall of man creation came under the curseand was "made subject to vanity," therefore man and creation must be redeemed. Thus we have:
  1. Father
  2. Son
  3. Spirit
  4. Creation
  5. Redemption
These are the 5 great mysteries, and five is therefore the number of GRACE. If four is the number of the world, then it represents man's weakness, and helplessness, and vanity, as we have seen.
But four plus one (4+1=5) is significant of Divine strength added to and made perfect in that weakness; of omnipotence combined with the impotence of earth; of Divine favor uninfluenced and invincible."

Wow!  "Divine strength"…woo hoo!  The Lord was providing "Divine strength" to Doc while he was preaching.  That is a confirmation of our prayers for not only Doc but also for all pastors.  None of us should try to do anything on our our strength but rather should rely on His strength as we go about our days.  When we pray before our feet hit the floor, He will surround us throughout our day.  That's not only exciting but also comforting to think about.  I am reminded of Psalm 91 today, specifically verses eleven and twelve.  

Psalm 91

Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
    will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
    my God, in whom I trust.”
Surely he will save you
    from the fowler’s snare
    and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with his feathers,
    and under his wings you will find refuge;
    his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
You will not fear the terror of night,
    nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
    nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side,
    ten thousand at your right hand,
    but it will not come near you.
You will only observe with your eyes
    and see the punishment of the wicked.
If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,”
    and you make the Most High your dwelling,
10 no harm will overtake you,
    no disaster will come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning you
    to guard you in all your ways;
12 they will lift you up in their hands,
    so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
    you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

14 “Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;
    I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
    I will be with him in trouble,
    I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
    and show him my salvation.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for this reminder of the vision You gave to this sweet little girl.  Thank You for the knowledge You give us that You are with us.  I praise You for having angels all around me throughout my days.  Lord, You are so awesome!  Thank You for being My Protector!  Amen.

No comments: