Saturday, December 13, 2014

Romans 12:1-2 - Comparing Myself With Others

Sometimes I have to remind myself that the Lord made me just the way I am.  He didn’t make me to be like anyone else.  When I listen to His voice for the direction He wants me to take, I should be content with life.  I shouldn’t look at what others do and be hard on myself that I don’t do the same.  Comparing myself to others is something that can get me feeling down about myself.  There should be no “would have” or “should have” moments in life when I am obedient to His voice.  

So with all that being said why do I still allow thoughts of comparison get to me?  Why do I think such thoughts as, “Why didn’t I do that?” or “People are going to think I’m horrible because I didn’t do that.”  Often I catch myself saying how my older sisters took all the talents and didn’t leave me any.  One can sew, make beautiful pies, and cans everything she gets her hands on.  The other one decorates cakes, quilts, and sews.  I have none of those talents.  But then the Lord reminds me that He didn’t give me those talents because He had other ones for me.  

I needed reminded this morning of Romans 12:1-2...

Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Yes!  As I offer myself to Him “...as a living sacrifice...” I am showing Him my worship.  I don’t need to do what others do nor do I need to worry about not doing as they do.  Instead I need to continue to worship Him in a way that only a life of one who is surrendered can live.  As I live this life of surrender I will be living in His will.  

Dear Jesus,

Thank You for the reminder this morning that I am who I am because You made me this way.  When the thoughts of comparing myself with others start to come into my mind, I pray You will stop them.  I pray You will continue to enable me to live a life of sacrifice for You.  Lord, You are so awesome in the way You direct me to certain scripture right when I need to hear it.  Thank You Jesus for being My Creator.  Amen.

No comments: