Wednesday, December 31, 2014

John 1:1-17 - "Revelation Song"

I woke up this morning singing the chorus to the "Revelation Song" over and over.  

Holy, Holy, Holy
Is the Lord God Almighty
Who was, and is, and is to come, yeah
With all creation I sing:
Praise to the King of Kings!
You are my everything,
And I - will - adore You!


"Who was, and is, and is to come…"  I think about His last hours on this earth as He spent time with the disciples.  John 13:1-17 gives the account of Jesus washes their feet.  I can't even being to imagine that time.  To think that the Lord was washing my feet would be so overwhelming.  

It was just before the Passover Festival. Jesus knew that the hour had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end.
The evening meal was in progress, and the devil had already prompted Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, to betray Jesus. Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.
He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?”
Jesus replied, “You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.”
“No,” said Peter, “you shall never wash my feet.”
Jesus answered, “Unless I wash you, you have no part with me.”
“Then, Lord,” Simon Peter replied, “not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!”
10 Jesus answered, “Those who have had a bath need only to wash their feet; their whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you.” 11 For he knew who was going to betray him, and that was why he said not every one was clean.
12 When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. 13 “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14 Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. 15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16 Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17 Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.
Verse ten is key in this group of scripture.  When we experience salvation, we are clean in the spiritual sense. But we need to continue the cleansing process through sanctification throughout the rest of our life.  This cleansing is done through the Holy Spirit who we allow to live in us.  As we allow ourselves to be cleansed holy, we enable the Lord to use us as His heart desires.  He gave us the example in these verses of how to have a servant heart.  We are to be servants to one another and in order to do so in the best manner possible we first must be cleansed and seeking more of Him.  When we take on this role we will be blessed abundantly as He tells us in verse seventeen.

It's kind of weird sometimes how my mind wanders.  As I walked into the kitchen this morning, I saw the dining room table and kitchen counters uncluttered.  My first thought was something I heard years ago about however your house is at the end of the year is how your house will be for the new year.  Many years at this time of year the dining room table would be piled high with stuff brought in from an event, shopping or just whatever was happening in life.  Too much busyness can occur during the holidays to have the house in order.  I started thinking about my spiritual house.  Is it in order?  Have I been too busy for God?  I can praise His holy name in knowing He is my priority.  It is when He is first that I am enabled to be the servant He so desires of me.  When I start my day with Him, He enables me to see the desires of His heart which in turn become the desires of my heart.  Of course, I have to be careful that I stay in such a relationship with Him where I pray for His holiness to be upon me.  That is all part of holy living.  I must make sure He is first, others second and myself third in my list of priorities.  

Just as there are some crumbs on the floor in the dining room that need cleaned up there are things that creep into my life that need taken care of.  I need to make sure I am in His word, praying, being in communion with Him, etc. each and every day.  He is the One to cleanse me holy.  He is the One to direct my steps.  He is the One to give me a servant's heart.  Woo hoo!

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for leading my thoughts this morning to You in this way.  Thank You for the song You put on my lips this morning the moment I woke up.  Lord, more of You and less of me is what I need in order to be Your servant in the best way possible today.  Father, cleanse me in a mighty way in order that I may be what You need me to be to all I meet today.  I pray a blessing of healing over my physical body.  I pray against the pain from yesterday and ask for today to be a new day in the sense of what I'm dealing with.  Lord, You are My Healer.  You've healed me so many times and I know You will heal me again.  I don't know if that will come instantaneously or through doctors and medicine but I know it will come.  I praise Your Holy Name for that knowledge.  This morning I sing to You…

Holy, Holy, Holy
Is the Lord God Almighty
Who was, and is, and is to come, yeah
With all creation I sing:
Praise to the King of Kings!
You are my everything,
And I - will - adore You!


Thank You Jesus for being The One I Adore.  Amen.


No comments: