Friday, December 19, 2014

Psalm 37:3-7 - Trusting

Last night I just needed some downtime from all the stuff going on so I decided to look through pictures.  I came across many from our "25 Things To Do Before Our 25th" and was so blessed.  The Lord gave us a great year of celebrating being married for twenty-five years.    He provided money for the things that needed money but most of all He provided us the ability to make time to do these things.  Time alone in our life is not always easy to achieve.  Being in the ministry makes us on-call pretty much 24/7.  Even on our days off we get called or on days such as today we bury one of our people.  

I will never forget getting the call from a family of a tragic accident where their loved one was serious.  We were on our way back from a few days away.  We received the first call as we came through Cincinnati.  About a half hour later the call came of his death.  I drove as careful but as fast as I could to get to them at the hospital.  That was the longest trip ever as I prayed and drove.  It was even harder because Doc had hurt his back and in intense pain.
Within a few weeks we took our day off to celebrate overnight only to once again have another funeral in the planning stage.  A month later we were going to combine a doctor appointment in Canton with an overnight stay at a Bed and Breakfast when we received a call for one who the doctors had given up hope on.  A trip to Columbus was made prior to our leaving and then we stayed in contact with the family while we were gone.  

A few years ago we had a lady who was close to death and I remember going on a cruise and praying for the Lord to not let her die while we were away.  Sometimes I think that was a selfish prayer yet it is only human to want to do something you've planned so long for to do.  Sometimes I question if it's "OK" to ask God to protect certain times for us such as time with our family or time for just the two of us.  Then I think of Psalm 37, specifically verses three through seven.
Trust in the Lord and do good;
    dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
Take delight in the Lord,
    and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the Lord;
    trust in him and he will do this:
He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn,
    your vindication like the noonday sun.
Be still before the Lord
    and wait patiently for him;
do not fret when people succeed in their ways,
    when they carry out their wicked schemes.
These are encouraging words to me.  I need to trust Him with my whole life and know He will take care of me.  Not only will He take care of me as I live a life for Him but He will give me the desires of my heart as I live for Him.  Trust is the key to living for the Lord.  When I trust Him, He will take care of everything.  Trust isn't always easy when we can't see the outcome of a situation or when we feel like we are falling apart.  But trusting the Lord comes with rewards.  Trusting Him with your whole being allows Him freedom to work through you.  

The key to trusting Him is found in verse seven.  Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him…  Being still is one of the hardest things to do and then to throw the word "patiently" in the mix makes it even harder.  But it's not impossible!  It is in the stillness with the Lord we can hear His voice.  It is in the waiting time that He reveals His plans for us.

Dear Jesus,
I love You so much and am so grateful for the way You are in charge of my life.  Father, I do put my trust in You each and every day.  Lord, this morning I am feeling a little down.  I don't know if it's because of this death we are dealing with, everything that goes on this time of year, or what.  Father, I pray for an extra dose of Your encouragement to get me through this day.  No, I don't want to just get through this day.  The desire of my heart is to not feel overwhelmed today.  I pray for more of You and less of me so this can happen.  Father, I trust You to give me exactly what I need today.  What You give me may not be what I think I need but that's OK.  Lord, be with this precious family.  Two deaths within four months is a lot to handle.  I pray for the ones who don't know You to come to You and for the ones who do know You to draw closer.  Lord, heal their hurts.  Father, I thank You for making it be that I am not responsible for anything for the Christmas program.  I know You had it all planned out for it to be this way and I greatly appreciate it.  Father, thank You for being The One I Trust In.  Amen.

No comments: