Friday, December 12, 2014

Ephesians 5:1-2 - Hugs

 Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.  Ephesians 5:1-2

“Can you hug me?”  Precious words to hear after praying with one going through a tough time in her life.  She was scared and needed reassurance.  As I hugged her, I thought about all the times I’ve prayed for the Lord to wrap His loving arms around someone so they could feel His presence.  I pray that in that simple hug she felt Him through me.  

I’ve always thought about how widows, widowers, and shut-ins may go days without human contact.  They can be very lonely and at times be starved in their emotional body.  I can’t think of a better way to fill their tank than to give them a big hug.  My Daddy was a hugger.  I just wonder if he thought about how he was being Jesus to those he hugged...

I think of the stories in the Bible where people all tried to touch the Lord in order to be healed.  I can’t imagine feeling the warmth of His touch.  Although, I have experienced feeling warmth from Him at times of healing.  That warmth represents His power.  That power represents His healing and restoration.  To think that one simple hug in the name of Jesus could be powerful enough to heal and restore is overwhelming.  One simple hug can change a frown to a smile.  One simple hug can put tears of joy into sad eyes.  One simple hug can restore a relationship that is hurting.  

Hearing those four simple words of “Can you hug me?” was a blessing to me.  It reminded me that I am the hands of Jesus.  The Lord was quick to tell me after the encounter that I was “His healing touch”...woo hoo!  I loved hearing those words from Him!  I was thinking about how His power was in me as I touched this one and then Him confirming that was the icing on the cake!

I am so blessed with the way He is using me.  And it’s all because I am totally surrendered to Him.  My surrender allows Him to empower me in some mighty ways.  To some that might sound like I’m boasting but I’m not.  I’m just thrilled of where I am in my relationship with Him right now, right where He has me.  

Dear Jesus,

As Ephesians 5:1-2 says, You are my example to follow.  Your example of being loving and giving is exactly the example I want to follow.  I pray people will see You in me.  I also pray my life will give off a “fragrant offering” in all that I do.  Father, I know the only way that can be is for more of You and less of me to be in my life.  Lord, thank You for the blessings You give me each and every day.  I praise You for loving me so greatly.  Lord, wherever You lead me to today I pray You will keep my focus on You so that I don’t miss any opportunity to be You to others.  Thank You Jesus for being My Example.  Amen.

No comments: