Sunday, December 14, 2014

Job 5:17 - Trials of Life

“Blessed is the one whom God corrects;
    so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty.”  Job 5:17

Today in our teen Sunday School class we studied Job 5.  This chapter continues Job's friend Eliphaz' encouraging talk to Job.  He pointed out to Job that we all go through trials in life.  Eliphaz reminded Job that he wasn't the only one to have family die or to have illness.  He also encouraged Job to grow closer to the Lord through the tough times.

Either at the beginning of Doc's sermon or maybe it was at prayer time he mentioned something about our faith growing through tough times.  I don't think it was a coincidence that these words were spoken today.  The Lord was speaking so clearly even through the fogginess of my brain.

This weekend has been another emotionally draining one.  The joy and the stress of the toy give-away yesterday was a lot to handle in itself. But then last night I couldn't go to sleep.  With being so tired I took Tylenol PM at 10:00.  Normally speaking when I take it I fall asleep within a half hour and get a restful sleep. 10:30 came and went.  11:00…11:30…midnight…still awake.  When the phone rang at 12:28, I soon realized the Lord was keeping me awake in order to be able to function.  (Once asleep with Tylenol PM I sleep very sound.)  Another death in a family that has already dealt with death within the last few months.  Tough times for this family…so much sorrow…

My concern was that I would be able to function both physically and mentally.  I praise the Lord He kept me awake.  I'm afraid I wouldn't have been as functional had I went to sleep.  I'm also grateful to Him for His words that He gave me not only last night but also in teaching the teens this morning.  The reminders from Job on life this morning were appreciated.  

Verse seventeen of Job 5 is a key verse.  We have to accept the Lord's discipline.  As I told the teens, it's OK to question Him through discipline as long as we don't stay angry with Him.   There are times when He is discipling us that we don't understand why or we may disagree with the discipline but days or weeks later we see He was right.  We talked about the importance of talking to Him about that too.  I loved the discussion we had on when their parents discipline them!

Dear Jesus,
I am so grateful for all the ways You showed Your love to me in the last few days.  Thank You for…
  • the hundreds of children who will have a toy for Christmas
  • Your protection over keeping me awake last night
  • my husband who drove me to the hospital and ministered with me
  • Your words and strength while with the family
  • the three hours of sleep after leaving the hospital
  • clarity while teaching the teens today
  • a nap this afternoon
I am praying for…
  • the children who will receive a toy for Christmas through the Toy Give Away…especially the situations you revealed to me as I prayed over the toys…my heart breaks for the revelations
  • the family who received the diagnosis of cancer for their loved one
  • the family who have lost another loved one in such a short time
  • the pain my husband and I are dealing with in our physical bodies…I pray it won't distract us from being Jesus to others
  • my mental and emotional being if I get called into the hospital tonight
Father, Your strength is perfect in all aspects of our being.  I pray Your strength over everyone going through difficult times.  I especially pray people who don't know You will come into relationship with You during their tough times and believers will dig deeper in their faith.  Father, more of You and less of me is the only way my faith can go deeper in order to be more effective as Your servant.  Thank You Jesus for being My Heavenly Father.  Amen.

No comments: