Monday, December 1, 2014

Colossians 3:23 - "It's All About You"


Yesterday Doc finished out a sermon series on "Connect-Grow-Serve".   We need to connect to God and to others; we need to grow in our Christian walk; and we need to get rid of the "me" mentality and put God on the throne in our life.  The video he showed of a man singing Christian songs changed from the Lord to "I" was hilarious yet when you think about it there are so many people who do believe life is all about them.  It's very sad.  I can't imagine the loneliness that comes with that sort of life.  I know as I look around and see such people I see anger, crabbiness, negativeness…all attributes that are ugly.

Servanthood is not always the easiest thing to do.  Sometimes it's hard to serve those who don't want you to be in their life.  Sometimes it's hard to serve those that have the "me" mentality.  But Colossians 3:23 reminds us that we aren't serving because of people but rather are serving for the Lord.

Yesterday I saw true servant hearts in the people who stayed to decorate the church.  I'm sure they would have rather left and went to lunch, watched the ballgame, take their Nazarene nap, visit family or whatever their Sunday afternoon usually holds but they served. It's not the most fun thing to do in life to decorate but as I looked around people were having fun as they fellowshipped together.  God blessed them for their efforts.  The three girls I brought home to make up the candy bags for church had servant hearts.  I loved hearing the one say when I thanked them, "It was fun!"  Once again, we enjoyed our time together.  

Between Thanksgiving and Christmas there are so many different activities that go on not only in the church but also in the schools and in our families.  As a pastor's wife I struggle at times with it all.  But I'm so grateful the Lord gave me this scripture when we first moved to Willard.  Everything I do is for Him, not to please people.  I was trying to do everything for everyone in whatever way they wanted it done.  I was failing.  Then He gave me this scripture and it gave me freedom in knowing I don't have to please people.  He is the only One to please.  

It's so hard to believe it's December 1st.  Oh my…to think of everything that is on the calendar between now and Christmas and all of the planning that will occur.  It makes me tired to even think about it, let alone do it.  Maybe I'll just take the month off and run away…LOL.  No way!  I would miss too many blessings if I did that.  No, instead I will pray for the Lord to guide me through these hectic time with clarity on what He desires of me.  I'm also going to be praying for peace not only in my own life and body but also in the lives of others. December should not be stressful but instead December should be a blessing.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You so much for the reminder of this verse today.  Thank You for the sermon yesterday and for all that heard it.  I pray we will be reminded when we begin to put ourselves on the throne that You are the One that belongs there.  Father, today is the start of a new month.  It's one of the most stressful months of the year for many people.  Will You please enable us to not be stressed but rather to be blessed in some mighty big ways?  Will You keep my stress to a level that my MS behaves itself?  Will You enable us all to keep You on the throne of our lives?  Father, the only way that is possible is my having more of You and less of us.  Lord, thank You for being My King of Kings.  Amen.


No comments: