Thursday, December 25, 2014

Luke 2:15-20 - "A Strange Way To Save The World"

Doc asked me to read the Christmas story during our Christmas Eve service.  As I read these words, I was overwhelmed with such joy…

15 And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us.  16 And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger.  17 And when they had seen it, they made known abroad the saying which was told them concerning this child.  18 And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds.  19 But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart.  20 And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them.

I can't even imagine how the shepherds felt when they were told of the Messiah, went to find Him and then actually saw Him in the flesh.  I love the part of the story that says they left Him "…glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them."  Woo hoo!  I can only imagine as they traveled the story they shared with others along the road.  I see the life of a new believer in this story.  They are told about Jesus and when they get to the point of wanting Him in their life they seek more of Him.  After the point of seeking Him and accepting Him into their heart they are on fire for Him.  Everyone they meet gets to hear about Him.  It's too bad for many the newness and excitement wears off and they quit sharing Him.

Verse nineteen is so special to me as a mother.  Mary "pondered them in her heart."  That's exactly what a mother does.  She keeps the memories tucked away in her heart and brings them back to her mind at times where she needs encouragement or needs to feel loved.  When the boys were growing up, reading of the Christmas story was always a part of Christmas.  I was blessed last night to hear that Paul is keeping up this tradition with his family.  Another blessing this season was having everyone home for Christmas.  

I know I am so blessed and I am so thankful to the Lord for each and every blessing.  I also know there are many who don't feel the same and for them I am praying they will feel the Lord in a special way today.  Today I am praying for…
  • the family dealing with their loved one in her "last days"
  • the one who is waiting on biopsy results
  • the one who is hospitalized in a weakened state in her physical body
  • the families who are separated due to marital problems and/or divorce
  • the families dealing with this illness that is going around
  • the many families who have lost a loved one this year and the ones who continue to grieve from deaths in years past
  • the siblings who are at odds with one another 
  • the parents dealing with a prodigal
  • the homeless no matter what caused their situation
  • those feeling alone, whether they have people around them or not
  • those in the life of addiction
  • those who are without the necessities of life, no matter what the reason is for their circumstances
As we minister in Mansfield today, I pray for the Lord to reveal to me situations/people who need extra attention.  I pray He will use me to be Him to them today.  I remember a few weeks ago as I went around and prayed over the gifts at the toy give away at Gateway how He revealed specific things about the children receiving the toys.  It broke my heart yet I felt blessed that He was using me to intercede for those children.  It also was exciting to think about how He already knew what toy was going to what child.  There was one toy in particular that as I was praying He had me stop and touch it.  He told me the child receiving it doesn't receive nice touches and with me touching it that child would feel Him through my touches.  I know some would say I am crazy.  Some would probably say that is too far out there to be true.  But I am living this life where sometimes the things He tells me or does through me are so not of me that there is no other explanation but it is Him.

Dear Jesus,
I praise You for coming to this world in the form of a baby in order to save this world in the form of a man.  I praise You for all the ways You bless me.  Lord, I need more of You and less of me in order to continue on this journey as Your servant.  Thank You in advance for the ways You will shine through me today.  I praise You, Father, for the opportunity to minister in Mansfield today.  Lord, may Your words be on my lips throughout this day.  Give me opportunities to minister for You in some mighty ways.  Lord, be glorified!  Thank You Jesus for being My Savior!  Amen.




No comments: