Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Romans 8:28 - "The Call"

I was thinking this morning about how often we think of the Lord as the big santa claus in the sky who is there only for when we want/need something.  I talked about this with the teens in Sunday School.  I came upon something to read and ponder....

The Call 
Author unknown 

The Master called my name one day because He needed someone to go: I said, "Lord, in my spare time, between school, spending time with my husband, working from 8 to 6, and trying to coordinate a program for my community to help our children do better, I will help you look. See, I know I can't go right now because I have so much to do." He said, "Well where shall I find such a person? I thought I saw your name on my list of available people." 

"Well, Lord, that was the prayer that I prayed last year, but since then, things have changed." He said "Like what?" "Well, I'm working on my Ph.D. and I'm needed by so many people and my husband is always wanting something done, and on top of that, my community EXPECTS me to help and give to them so..." 
"Well, since you're busy, I'll let you go, but we will talk again, if YOU have some time." I went on through the days, and the weeks, and the months completing my tasks as always. One evening, while studying for my comp exams, I received a call from the hospital concerning my husband. He had been in a terrible accident and was in critical condition. I dropped everything and ran to the Hospital where I found my husband hanging on for dear life. I immediately begin to pray: "Lord, don't take him now, I can't bear it," but my prayer echoed off the wall and returned into my own ear. 

That next morning I left the hospital tired and weary, and walked in the door of my classroom just in time to begin my comps. As the professors begin asking me questions I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out. In my mind, I began praying, praying hard, but my prayer echoed again and I found myself upset at the Lord because He was nowhere to be found. I could not explain to them what was happening. After leaving from my exams, I called in to work because I was so distraught at all that was going on. I explained to my supervisor what had happened and she demanded that I take some time off. 

After visiting my husband in the hospital that evening, I went home and fell into a sunken state, crying and despairing. Just then I heard someone calling my name. "Lord, is that YOU?" "Well, yes it is. Do YOU have some time? I wanted to see if I could just talk .... " Instead of waiting to hear His questions, I lashed out in anger and resentment. "How is it that when I needed You today, YOU couldn't be found and last night I cried and cried, but all I heard were echoes from the walls. My husband is dying, I'm flunking out of school, I may not have a job, and you can just sit and say YOU want to talk." The Lord interrupted me in my foolish speaking. "My child, I was busy, out looking for someone to go and tell others about Me when you cried. By the time I came to answer, you had moved on to something else. So, I decided to let your husband rest, and keep you home for a few days. That way, MAYBE you would get in touch with me, if YOU had some time. For you see, before your husband, the community, or your job needs you, I NEED YOU. And if all these things take you away from Me, I have to almost take them away from YOU in order to get a moment." 

I calmed down and began to cry. For I remembered my prayer of wanting to go and do for the Lord. He said "I just wanted to check with you to see if you knew of ANYONE that I could send to be a witness for Me and tell others about Me ... anyone at all?" With tears in my eyes and feeling so unworthy I said "Lord, send me, I'll go." The Lord should never have to ask us if we have some time. When He died on the cross He put aside everything to insure us eternal life. We should be more than GRATEFUL to do service for the Lord, to witness, and to tell ANYONE we can about Jesus. Don't let your (things), WHATEVER they may be, get you so tied up that the Lord has to become a meeting time in your yearly planner. He had more than enough time for us. The least we could do is have time for Him. 
*I asked for strength and God gave me difficulties to make me strong. 
*I asked for wisdom and God gave me problems to solve. 
*I asked for prosperity and God gave me brawn and brains to work. 
*I asked for courage and God gave me dangers to overcome. 
*I asked for patience and God placed me in situations where I was forced to wait. 
*I asked for love and God gave me troubled people to help. 
*I asked for favors and God gave me opportunities. 
*I asked for everything so I could enjoy life. 
Instead, He gave me life so I could enjoy everything. 
*I received nothing I wanted, I received everything I needed.

I know there have been times in the past where the Lord called me to do something and I didn't respond appropriately, if at all.  Shame on me!  I am sorry Lord for those times.  I also know when I do the Lord's Will I am at peace.  I am enjoying exactly where He places me when I am doing His Work.  Last night's service really got me thinking about where I am headed with the Lord.  Questions came to my mind that I need to ponder and pray about.  Where are You taking me Lord on this new path You started me on?  How will my days look a year from now?  Will more doors be opened on this path?

I am holding onto Romans 8:28.  And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.  Woo hoo!  Thank You Jesus for the promises of Your Word!

Dear Jesus,
I love You so much!  I am so grateful for the way You lead and direct me!  You are so awesome in the way You bless me!  Lord, I miss my friend Lenore.  I miss knowing that she is praying for me.  After my Daddy died, she went from #2 to #1 in being my biggest cheerleader.  I feel like I've lost so much prayer support in these last months.  Would You please put someone in their place to pray for me?  I need a prayer warrior who is in tune with You so they will know when I need a phone call to encourage me.  I need someone who lives in Your Presence Lord so they will hear Your voice.  Thank You Jesus for being The One Who Called Me.  Amen.

No comments: