Sunday, July 14, 2013

John 14:13-14 - Disappointment

Disappointment....something that we experience every day in one way or another.  Disappointment in people.  Disappointment in circumstances.  Disappointment in ourselves.  Why do have to deal with disappointment?  Because we depend upon the world instead of the Lord.  I was thinking this morning about how the world hypes us up to so many things.  It makes us want what others have.  Sometimes we get our focus off the Lord and we become disappointed in not getting something.  Or sometimes other people choose to follow the world and their choices are a disappointment to us.

That's where I am.  I'm disappointed in someone.  They are following the ways of the world instead of focusing God.  How do I deal with it?  I've fasted.  I've prayed.  Yet it hasn't changed things.  When the Lord told me the other day to fast for this couple, I asked how long.  His response, "I will tell you went it will be over."  Then when he told me a couple days later that a decision had been made in the situation and it was time to stop I was so disappointed the decision wasn't to follow His Ways but to follow the world's ways.  My heart is broken.  I can't imagine how the Lord is feeling.  One of His children making the decision to follow the world and not Him would have to break His heart.

I think of John 14:13-14 where Jesus tells us when we ask in His name our prayers will be answered.  Why were my prayers not answered for this situation?  Why did I fail?  Did I do something wrong?  I prayed and fasted as the Lord directed.

"And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the
Son.  If you ask anything in My name, I will do it."

The Lord's Will wasn't chosen by the ones involved.  Instead free choice came into play.  Romans 12:21 reads, "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."  Why didn't the ones in this situation do this?  Why did they stray away from the Lord?  Don't they remember II Corinthians 5:17?  "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come."  I am disappointed.  I feel like I failed as a Christian.  Was there something I could have done or said to keep their focus on the Lord?  Did I fail at I Thessalonians 5:11?  "Therefore encourage one another and build up each other, just as you are in fact doing."  

Dear Jesus,
I come before You this morning feeling like a failure.  I don't understand why my fasting and praying didn't change the situation.  Lord, I need Your peace.  I need to hear from You if I did something wrong or didn't do something I should have.  Father, I won't give up praying for a miracle in this situation.  Lord, I need to feel You in a mighty way today.  Amen.

No comments: