Saturday, April 20, 2019

Philippians 4:13 - "Lord, I Need You"


Six years ago April 20th was also a Saturday. The night before was a tough one with Doc just getting home from his second knee replacement. There was little sleep. That morning when the phone rang I never thought it would be 'the' call where I hear the words I dreaded so badly, "Daddy's gone." For fifty-one years and eight months my Daddy was my rock. He was my greatest encourager throughout life. Yes, he spoiled me but it was because he loved me. There were times he reprimanded me. Probably not as much as he should have but he did. He taught me so much about how to live life. He taught me to love people as Jesus does; to be generous; to give of yourself even when you don't have financial means to give anything else; to never give up; the list goes on and on. He also taught my boys how to do so many things. Most recently I found out he taught my husband a key thing that has been instrumental in keeping our marriage going. Oh how I miss him. I miss his daily phone calls. I miss hearing, "Now, Sheila Babe, you can rest for awhile but you cannot stay in bed all day" on days when MS was getting to me. I miss him slipping me a ten dollar bill when he knew my purse was empty or sending a bag of groceries home with the boys after he picked them up from a school function. I miss seeing him smile when we pulled in the drive-way for a visit. I wish he could see the grand babies who have been born since he left this earth. I wish he were here to see me being almost done with classes for the education requirement for ordination. But he is not. Instead he is no longer in pain. He is no longer struggling to breathe or walking with a walker. I like to picture that he is dancing with Jesus, going around giving out hugs and talking with anyone who will listen. He loved people on this earth and I am sure he is still loving people. My Heavenly Daddy blessed me with a very loving earthly Daddy who provided for our family as much as he could without having a high school education. In the summer, he would go to the park and umpire ball games after working all day on the farm. I remember one year when he had missed so much work due to surgeries and he had no more sick time. What a blessing for teachers and staff to give their sick time to him so our family would not go without. That showed how much he meant to others. I also remember when my Momma was off for multiple cervical surgeries. He and I had to keep the house going, take care of the kids, do the cooking, etc. for over a year. I learned so much during that time that I have been grateful for as an adult. One of them was cooking. I had been cooking since a young girl but I will never forget the July 4th Bicentennial picnic at church. He taught me how to prepare for such an event. Every family was to take a couple dishes to put together with another family. It was not a typical covered dish picnic since our church was so large. Instead two or three families would eat together. When I asked him what we would take, his reply surprised me. He said, 'meat loaf, green beans, potatoes, and a cake.' I told him we did not have to take a full meal, only a couple dishes. He told me 'anytime you go to such an event you take a full meal in case something happens that you sit with someone who brings little or nothing.' When we sat down with a family of four who brought a little bowl of corn, I was grateful for how wise my Daddy was. He also taught me to buy lots when things you regularly use are on sale. I blame him for teaching my Momma this who also taught me this practice. That is why when times are tough we can always get by with what is in the cupboards and freezer for a bit. It may not be what we always want but it will get us by. He taught me how to persevere through illness. Doc always called him the bionic man with the way he went through sixty plus surgeries and kept going. It is ironic that today is the anniversary of my MS diagnosis. Twenty-five years ago. My Daddy encouraged me so much to not give up. He encouraged me to get up out of bed when the MS hit; to not allow using the wheelchair, walker, or cane to get to me emotionally; to go to college when my boss at Smucker's gave me the college catalog and told me the only way he could promote me was if I had a college degree; and so many others ways. I am so blessed to have had an earthly Daddy who was such a great man. I am blessed that he loved the Lord. I am blessed that he loved my Momma so much. I can't imagine how much she misses him but I am blessed in knowing she will be with him again. I am blessed in knowing I will see him again. There is no place I would rather be today than with my family who are gathering to celebrate Easter but also to celebrate my Daddy. Even though the tears are falling I know that is not possible. Sometimes I wonder why God took us so far away from them but it is not for me to question. I just need to remember my Heavenly Father is here with me, loving on me exactly as I need loved on. He is here encouraging me and allowing me to have the tears. I am grateful He has blessed me with a husband who allows tears to flow and to be my rock. I will never forget Doc being just a few days out from his surgery and yet insisting on being with me for my Daddy's calling hours and funeral. I know the only way he was able to do that was through God's strength. 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for going before me today and not only getting me through this day but blessing me with opportunities to love on others through it. I pray I will be a beacon of light for You throughout this day but I know You need to cleanse me first so You can fill me to overflowing with Your love. Father, thank You for Rick and Denise who took care of Doc those first couple days after my Daddy died. Thank You for Marlene who checked in on him and Junior who drove Linda and I to Orrville that day. Thank You for all of the people You put in my path over these last six years to encourage my heart with this loss. Thank You for being with me over the last twenty-five years with MS. Thank You for being with my family today as they gather together at my Momma's. Thank You Jesus for being My Strength! Amen.

No comments: