Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Psalm 49 - "Lose My Soul"

Last night was amazing. One minute I was sitting in a very lively Bible study on the book of Revelation and the next I was called to the hospital to be with a ninety-four year old lady who was struggling for life. In the Bible study we talked about how people have the choice to either follow the Lord or to do things on their own. We discussed how those who accept the Lord during the Tribulation and stand up for Him will be killed. But that will be a good thing because they will no longer have to be on this earth going through the time of Tribulation. This morning the Lord took me to Psalm 49…
Hear this, all you peoples;
    listen, all who live in this world,
both low and high,
    rich and poor alike:
My mouth will speak words of wisdom;
    the meditation of my heart will give you understanding.
I will turn my ear to a proverb;
    with the harp I will expound my riddle:
Why should I fear when evil days come,
    when wicked deceivers surround me—
those who trust in their wealth
    and boast of their great riches?
No one can redeem the life of another
    or give to God a ransom for them—
the ransom for a life is costly,
    no payment is ever enough—
so that they should live on forever
    and not see decay.
10 For all can see that the wise die,
    that the foolish and the senseless also perish,
    leaving their wealth to others.
11 Their tombs will remain their houses forever,
    their dwellings for endless generations,
    though they had named lands after themselves.
12 People, despite their wealth, do not endure;
    they are like the beasts that perish.
13 This is the fate of those who trust in themselves,
    and of their followers, who approve their sayings.
14 They are like sheep and are destined to die;
    death will be their shepherd
    (but the upright will prevail over them in the morning).
Their forms will decay in the grave,
    far from their princely mansions.
15 But God will redeem me from the realm of the dead;
    he will surely take me to himself.
16 Do not be overawed when others grow rich,
    when the splendor of their houses increases;
17 for they will take nothing with them when they die,
    their splendor will not descend with them.
18 Though while they live they count themselves blessed—
    and people praise you when you prosper—
19 they will join those who have gone before them,
    who will never again see the light of life.
20 People who have wealth but lack understanding
    are like the beasts that perish.

Verses fifteen through twenty of Psalm 49 show us that we don't have to fear death when we believe and live in the Lord. Matthew Henry writes about these verses very plainly….

Believers should not fear death. The distinction of men's outward conditions, how great soever in life, makes none at death; but the difference of men's spiritual states, though in this life it may seem of small account, yet at and after death is very great. The soul is often put for the life. The God of life, who was its Creator at first, can and will be its Redeemer at last. It includes the salvation of the soul from eternal ruin. Believers will be under strong temptation to envy the prosperity of sinners. Men will praise thee, and cry thee up, as having done well for thyself in raising an estate and family. But what will it avail to be approved of men, if God condemn us? Those that are rich in the graces and comforts of the Spirit, have something of which death cannot strip them, nay, which death will improve; but as for worldly possessions, as we brought nothing into the world, so it is certain that we shall carry nothing out; we must leave all to others. The sum of the whole matter is, that it can profit a man nothing to gain the whole world, to become possessed of all its wealth and all its power, if he lose his own soul, and is cast away for want of that holy and heavenly wisdom which distinguishes man from the brutes, in his life and at his death. And are there men who can prefer the lot of the rich sinner to that of poor Lazarus, in life and death, and to eternity? Assuredly there are. What need then we have of the teaching of the Holy Ghost; when, with all our boasted powers, we are prone to such folly in the most important of all concerns!

Fast forward to my time in the emergency room with this sweet lady who believed. She kept saying, "Put a pillow on my face so I can be out of this pain." I told her she was here on this earth for a reason and she looked up to me with such a sweet smile. As we waited for transport I sang "Amazing Grace" with her, talked with her and prayed with her. I felt like I was in the Lord's Presence in such a mighty way. I came home drained and fell into bed. What an emotional and spiritual evening.

I'm not sure if she is still on this earth this morning or not. But I do know if she isn't here she is basking in His presence. I want to live my life without a doubt that I will also be with Him for eternity. The more we study Revelation, the more urgency I feel to present the Gospel to those who don't believe. If they die before the Lord returns and they don't believe, they will not have a chance to be with Him in paradise. As Carol reminded us last night of the old saying, "No way in hell!" applies to those who die before they accept Him.  It is sad to think of people living in hell for eternity when Paradise is available to them. 

I will stand on the words of a song Toby Mac sings, "Lose My Soul"...

I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul,
Don't wanna walk away, let me hear the people say.
I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul,
Don't wanna walk away, let me hear the people say.
Don't wanna walk away,
Don't wanna walk away
How do I sense the tide that's rising?
De-sensitizing me from living in light of eternity,
How do I sense the tide that's rising?
It's hypnotizing me from living in light of eternity,
How do I sense the tide that's rising?
De-sensitizing me from living in light of eternity.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for last night! Thank You for giving me a glimpse of heaven as I ministered to this dear lady. Lord, You are so awesome! The words of Psalm 49 remind me that worldly things aren't what are important. It is living for You and with You for eternity that is important. Father, nothing on this earth is important enough to lose eternity with You. Father, open eyes to those who need to experience a life with You. Lord, I pray for more of You and less of self so I can be You to others. Give me boldness in my words so people will see/hear You through me. Thank You Jesus for being My Eternity! Amen.


No comments: