Monday, March 23, 2015

Colossians 1:15-23; John 21:15-24 - "Overwhelmed"

I become so overwhelmed sometimes when I think of where I am today in my walk with the Lord. As I think about where I was thirty years ago and where I am today, I am so grateful to the Lord for His grace and mercy. Colossians 1:15-23 reads....

15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross. 21 Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior.22 But now he has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation 23 if you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant. 

It is amazing to ponder how we were created for Jesus. We were made in His likeness and by His power. Too many times we think about how He was made for our glory yet we don't think about how we were made for His glory. I love to think about that. To think that I was created for Him...woo hoo! He created me for a purpose and with His plan for my life. It was because of free choice that I walked away from Him but most importantly it is because of His amazing grace that I came back into His loving arms to be His faithful servant. I like these words of Matthew Henry...

All fulness dwells in him; a fulness of merit and righteousness, of strength and grace for us. God showed his justice in requiring full satisfaction. This mode of redeeming mankind by the death of Christ was most suitable. Here is presented to our view the method of being reconciled. And that, notwithstanding the hatred of sin on God's part, it pleased God to reconcile fallen man to himself. If convinced that we were enemies in our minds by wicked works, and that we are now reconciled to God by the sacrifice and death of Christ in our nature, we shall not attempt to explain away, nor yet think fully to comprehend these mysteries; but we shall see the glory of this plan of redemption, and rejoice in the hope set before us. If this be so, that God's love is so great to us, what shall we do now for God? Be frequent in prayer, and abound in holy duties; and live no more to yourselves, but to Christ. Christ died for us. But wherefore? That we should still live in sin? No; but that we should die to sin, and live henceforth not to ourselves, but to Him.

Wow!!!! I am one blessed lady to be reconciled with the Lord. To think of how Peter denied Christ yet became reconciled to Him is ovewhelming. It is only through His love for us that we can be reconciled. It is only trough our love for Him that we can live the life He so desires of us after we become reconciled with Him. John 21 gies us the account of Peter by the Sea of Galilee with the Lord...

Jesus Reinstates Peter

15 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”
“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”
16 Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”
17 The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. 18 Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” 19 Jesus said this to indicate the kind of deathby which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!”
20 Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them. (This was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper and had said, “Lord, who is going to betray you?”)21 When Peter saw him, he asked, “Lord, what about him?”
22 Jesus answered, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me.” 23 Because of this, the rumor spread among the believers that this disciple would not die. But Jesus did not say that he would not die; he only said, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?”
24 This is the disciple who testifies to these things and who wrote them down. We know that his testimony is true.

John testified! He gave the Lord glory for everything! Not only did he testify but he wrote about the experience. I love to testify and I love to write about the things He does for me, in me and through me. Woo hoo!

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Your mercy, Your grace and Your love! I am so blessed to be in relationship with You..to be reconciled with You...to be Your servant. Lord, bless my efforts to be You to others. Fill me with more of You and less of me in order to do Your will. Thank You Jesus for the reminder of my reconciliation through Peter's reconciliation. Lord, I praise You for being My Rock. Amen.


No comments: