Friday, September 20, 2013

II Corinthians 12:1-10 - Prickles of Life

My husband bought this towel for me while we were on vacation in New Orleans.  It is one of the first things I see when I walk into my kitchen.  Of course, I chuckle when I see it but I also pray the Lord will give me what I need to make this happen.


We all have the choice each and every day to allow either the Lord or the enemy to have full reign on of life.  When we allow the enemy control, life will be chaotic but at times it will seem "good".  When we allow the Lord control, life will be peaceful but at times it will seem "bad".  That doesn't make much sense to some people.  Some think when you allow the Lord control life will be easy or as I've heard before it will "be a bed of roses".  I chuckle when I hear that old saying.  Think about it.  What exactly is a bed of roses?  They can be beautiful when the roses are blooming.  They can be fragrant.  But they also can be prickly!  There is more to that old saying than what people think.  Can something be beautiful and fragrant yet prickly?  Most definitely!  Can life be good yet challenging?  Most definitely.  That's when we grow the most in the Lord.  Our faith is stretched.  The disciple Paul tells us in II Corinthians 12:10 that the Lord's power becomes strong through our weaknesses.  


2 Corinthians 12

12 I must go on boasting. Although there is nothing to be gained, I will go on to visions and revelations from the Lord. I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows. And I know that this man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows— was caught up to paradise and heard inexpressible things, things that no one is permitted to tell. I will boast about a man like that, but I will not boast about myself, except about my weaknesses. Even if I should choose to boast, I would not be a fool, because I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain, so no one will think more of me than is warranted by what I do or say, or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me,“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.


Matthew Henry writes that the troubles the Lord allows us to endure are to teach us to pray.  When we don't get the answer we desire, He gives us the grace to continue on.  We have the choice to make.  Will we allow the enemy to take over or will we allow the Lord to grow us?

"The apostle gives an account of the method God took to keep him humble, and to prevent his being lifted up above measure, on account of the visions and revelations he had. We are not told what this thorn in the flesh was, whether some great trouble, or some great temptation. But God often brings this good out of evil, that the reproaches of our enemies help to hide pride from us. If God loves us, he will keep us from being exalted above measure; and spiritual burdens are ordered to cure spiritual pride. This thorn in the flesh is said to be a messenger of Satan which he sent for evil; but God designed it, and overruled it for good. Prayer is a salve for every sore, a remedy for every malady; and when we are afflicted with thorns in the flesh, we should give ourselves to prayer. If an answer be not given to the first prayer, nor to the second, we are to continue praying. Troubles are sent to teach us to pray; and are continued, to teach us to continue instant in prayer. Though God accepts the prayer of faith, yet he does not always give what is asked for: as he sometimes grants in wrath, so he sometimes denies in love. When God does not take away our troubles and temptations, yet, if he gives grace enough for us, we have no reason to complain. Grace signifies the good-will of God towards us, and that is enough to enlighten and enliven us, sufficient to strengthen and comfort in all afflictions and distresses. His strength is made perfect in our weakness. Thus his grace is manifested and magnified. When we are weak in ourselves, then we are strong in the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ; when we feel that we are weak in ourselves, then we go to Christ, receive strength from him, and enjoy most the supplies of Divine strength and grace.


I want to make sure I allow the Lord full reign of my life each and every day.  I don't want to miss any opportunities He puts before me.  When the enemy tries to come knocking at my door, I sure don't want to open it up for him.  I do want to be just as the towel says, "I'm the kind of gal who when my feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says "Oh crap!  She's up!"  I want the devil to be scared of me.  I want him to be unhappy with my actions.  On the other hand, I want the Lord to be proud of me and the way I live.  Just as the apostle Paul says in this passage, "For when I am weak, then I am strong."  These words give me exactly what I need to get through the prickles of this life.  I am strong in my faith because of all I have been through.  I don't always see the prickles as good things when I am going through them but  once past them as I reflect on them I can see how the Lord used them to strengthen me.

Dear Jesus,
I praise Your Holy Name for loving me!  I praise You Lord for all the ways You strengthen me.  I will admit I'm not always happy with the prickles of my life but I will say that I'm happy with the results afterwards.  Lord, Your Strength is what I need to get through each and every day.  Your Wisdom and Guidance are what I need to get through each and every day.  Your Attitude and Love are what I need to get through each and every day.  Father, I pray You will enable me to slam the door shut on the enemy when He comes knocking.  Thank You Lord for Your Strength.  I praise You for being My Faith Builder!  Amen.

No comments: