Wednesday, September 11, 2013

911 Reflection

911
September 11, 2001
A date never to be forgotten....

As I reflect back on that morning twelve years ago I remember the sudden urgency I had to be home and have my family with me.  I was working at Smucker's in Orrville that morning and soon we were glued to the TV.  Doc was home in Willard.  Paul was at Akron U and Lizzy was at Ashland U.  Ben was at school in Willard.  I was so far away from all of them yet knew where I needed to be.  An hour and fifteen minute drive was normal for me at that time and one that I didn't think too much about.  But it was the longest hour and fifteen minutes of my life as I was desperate to be with my family.  At that point no one knew if there would be more attacks of the US or not.  The school had sent Ben home so I knew he was safe with Doc.  I remember busting through the door and hugging Doc and Ben for the longest time.  We sat anxiously as we watched the TV and prayed.  It wasn't too much longer before Paul and Lizzy came through the door and we were relieved.  I remember thinking, "Oh no!  Lizzy is here and not with her Momma."  Thankfully, Paul had traveled safely from Akron to Ashland to pick her up and then came here.  The assumption was that he came here to watch to see what else would happen but I think he knew his Momma was freaking out and needed to see him.  When I think about it though, why did I freak out so much and want my family with me desperately?  I know they are in the Lord's hands and I know He protects them each and every day.  Those are easy words to say and even to understand but after living through 911 I understand my reaction that day.  The unknown of who did it?  Why did they do it?  Would they do it again?  We just never know.  All of the lives that were lost in a senseless death make me sad.  All of the children who lost their parents that day for no good reason.  All of the people who will never be the way they were before because of evil.  So sad.  I am thankful the Lord brought my family together that day for a physical touch that I so needed.  I am also thankful for the way He protects us each and every day.  There are some days where I wish I could have my children back as they were growing up.  I miss the hugs.  I miss the talks.  I miss the fun.  But I know the Lord gave me them to raise to be the godly men they are.  I know they now are making their own memories with their own families and for that I'm grateful.  I'm also grateful for a quote from Hodding Carter, "There are two lasting bequests we can give our children:  One is roots, the other is wings."  The boys were given their roots growing up and I pray they were embedded deeply in them.  When it came time for them to fly, they had their wings and were ready.  I praise the Lord for the way they are now raising their children to have deep roots.  Today I am praying for the families who lost loved ones on 911.  I am also praying for ones like my autistic nephew who continues to be traumatized on this day with all the publicity that goes on.  Many, many people who need extra prayer to deal with this day.  We must never forget to pray for our enemies who need to find the Lord.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for my family.  Thank You for blessing me in such a mighty way with their love.  Father, I ask that You be with everyone today that needs an added dose of love as they endure this anniversary date of 911.  Father, draw them close to You.  Put people before them that will make a difference in their life.  Lord, thank You for the protection You give us each and every day.  Amen.

No comments: