Thursday, May 25, 2023

Psalm 23; Matthew 18 - "First Things First"

There is a popular song on Christian radio right now called "First Things First" that speaks volumes. It is the way I strive to live my life every day. When we strive to be Christ-like, we will achieve that goal more often. As we live to please Him we will do so in ways the world cannot understand. 

First thing's first
I seek Your will
Not my own
Surrender all my wants to you
Keep the first thing first
To live Your truth
Walk Your ways
Set my eyes
Lord, I fix my face on you
All my desires reversed
To keep the first thing first

Yes! Fixing our eyes on God instead of ourselves in key to a peaceful life. It does not mean there won't be turmoil in life because we need such times to stretch our faith. It does not mean we will always do as He desires because we are human and make decisions not based on His will from time to time. It does not mean we are going to understand everything that happens because God is the Only One to understand all things. What it does mean is we will realize a greater life with Him here on earth and for eternity. Eternity must be our goal. My heart goes out to those who do not comprehend this concept. It hurts for those who blatantly refuse God to be in their life but it really hurts for those who know Him yet have walked away. I am so thankful for His love, mercy, and grace that brought me back into relationship with Him when I walked away. I am thankful for the prayers of many who never gave up on me. When faced with situations of people turning away from God, He reminds me He did not give up on me. Therefore, I should not give up on people. Sometimes it is hard to keep trying when people are resistant. Once again I must remember God never gave up on me so I need to not give up on others. I am reminded this morning of the parable of the ninety-nine sheep in Matthew 18. The shepherd knew the ninety-nine were safe when he went to look for the one lost sheep. His love for all one hundred sheep can be seen in this parable. He left the ninety-nine knowing they would be ok until he returned. He went for the one lost knowing he needed all of his sheep before he could rest. The shepherd knew the one lost would be vulnerable and could possibly be attacked by a wild animal. Our Good Shepherd is just like this. He desires all to follow Him and will do whatever it takes to make sure it happens. He knows we are human and make mistakes but He also knows we can learn from such mistakes. I am grateful for Scripture that encourages me greatly to stay focused on God no matter what circumstances I find myself. One such Scripture is Psalm 23. It shows how He leads, guides, and protects us. Praise His Holy Name!

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the blessings of yesterday and the ones ahead today! Thank You for Your love, mercy, and grace that never gave up on me when I walked away! Thank You for bringing Doug into my life! Thank You for Pam giving me the opportunity to talk to my Momma for a couple minutes yesterday over the phone! Cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May people see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. I pray Your peace over many going through difficult days. My Momma, my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Steph as she recuperates from surgery; Pete and Delores; Steve; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a young man out of rehab; Mary Lilley; a husband/father separated from his wife; Brooklyn; Kristen Batten; April; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; Mr John; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Audrey; Chrissy’s cousin; Shirley Jones; my pastor friend with daily chemo; Little Ivy; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; a lady whose breast cancer has returned; a lady diagnosed with stage two breast cancer; a lady diagnosed with throat cancer; Sue Danhoff’s husband Harv; Michele with breast cancer; Mr Mullett; David; and Damon. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Russ; a couple contemplating divorce and another couple having serious issues. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Thank You for being My Great Shepherd! Amen.

No comments: