Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Romans 12:12 - "Hope and Help"

What to do? What to do?  No internet this morning and had all kinds of things I "should do" but didn't particularly want to do them…lol.  After completing a few of the "should do" tasks I curled up with my four-legged buddy and a book a friend gave me to read.  "Hope and Help" was written by Sister Karen Zielinski.  Recently she spoke to Mercy employees but I was unable to go.  Sister Karen was diagnosed with MS in 1975.  The book is powerful in ministering not only to those who deal with disease but also to their caretakers.  It really is a great book for all to read.

A paragraph in the introduction reads:

"Health problems touch all our lives:  Everyone will be a patient someday.  Besides competent doctors and promising new therapies, what can be the most healing to us is very simple: another person's compassion.  Compassionate care involves the whole person---physical, emotional, social, and spiritual.  This care is inherently a spiritual activity.  Just holding the hand of a patient can be a sacred, spiritual act.  Little things like listening to a patient's fears can offer much comfort.  Words are not even necessary."

Whenever I go into a patient's room or have an opportunity to talk with someone who is dealing with sickness I try to do or say whatever I can to make them less overwhelmed by the end of our time together.  Just as the book said, it doesn't always take words to do that.  Sometimes just sitting and holding their hand can give them peace.  I don't have the answers so I don't try to give them.  I do give them Jesus through my words and actions.  Prayer is one of the best things I can share with them.  

In her book, Sister Karen's goal is to share spiritual coping and comforting practices and she does just that.   She shares how when we go through an illness, whether it be our own or someone we love, or when we have the loss of someone close to us we can be vulnerable.  We must be careful and always stay close to the Lord.  We must allow Him to help us on the journey of life.  We must make the choice to do the right thing.

I love a quote by Helen Keller…"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet.  Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieve."  I am reminded of Romans 12:12.  Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.  The Lord is our strength no matter what we are going through.  We must look to Him and allow Him to work through the trials of our life so that He will be glorified.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the many reminders of this book today.  Thank You for the tidbits I have tucked away for future reference.  Thank You also for the encouragement it gave me in the areas of my ministry, as I deal with illness in loved ones, and as I continue in the grieving process over my Daddy's death.  Lord, You are so awesome!  I praise You Lord for being My "Hope and Help"!  Amen.

No comments: