Saturday, November 9, 2013

II Timothy 1:3-11 - Empowerment

This morning the Lord has me praying for a friend for the word "empowerment."  She is going through a tough time with her physical body and has an anniversary party for her parents today.  He told me to pray specifically for her to be empowered by His strength.  This was a new way to pray for someone.  I know what "empowerment" means but I thought I would look it up to see if I could learn more about it.  Here's what I found…

em·pow·er  (m-pour)
tr.v. em·pow·eredem·pow·er·ingem·pow·ers
1. To invest with power, especially legal power or official authority. See Synonyms at authorize.
2. To equip or supply with an ability; enable: "Computers ... empower students to become intellectual explorers"(Edward B. Fiske).


I don't have any official authority so why would the Lord have me pray for "empowerment" for her.  Then it hit me.  I do have official authority in the sense that I am His Daughter who He empowers to do His work.  II Timothy 1:3-11 reads...

His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desire. For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.  10 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, 11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I absolutely love verse 8.  For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.   I love the idea that in order to be "...ineffective and unproductive…" all I have to do is stay close to the Lord.  He has called me to be an encourager.  With that calling comes empowerment to do as He leads.  That's exciting!  It's also exciting to hear from Him on what He wants of me.  Hearing from Him comes through different ways.  One of them is by His Voice.  Another is through other people.  Thursday night I had a bad dream that my four-legged buddy died.  When I woke up, it was seemed so real that I asked Doc to hold me for a few minutes to comfort me.  Later in the day I found out a friend's bulldog had died.  I had to stop and wonder if the Lord gave me the dream in order to prepare me on how to encourage them.  I've always heard the Lord works in strange ways.  A couple years ago Doc said we should never be surprised at what the Lord does.  I use to pray and then say I was surprised when He answered.  Not any more.  Now when I pray I expect answers.

A perfect example of expecting came yesterday morning in a prayer.  I woke up feeling very off balanced.  My first thought was, "I don't have time for this.  I have plans today."  LOL  I'm so thankful He was quick to remind me that He is in control.  He empowered me in my prayers as first I apologized to Him for saying that and then went on to pray:  "Lord, in Your Holy Name, I pray for Your healing touch to come over my body.  Take away this balance issue.  Amen."  Woo hoo!  No more balance issues!  He empowered me...I believed...I expected…He answered.  Woo hoo!  I love how He works in and through me!  I'm also thankful for the way He directs me when the way I think a prayer should be answered is not His Way.  Sometimes it's hard to understand "why" but the important thing to remember is that everything has to be in His timing and we can't manipulate situations.

Dear Jesus,
Once again I pray for my friend to be empowered by Your Strength as she goes throughout this day.  Lord, my prayer is for a healing in her back.  I pray whatever the reason is for this will be fulfilled and You will be glorified.  Lord, I also thank You for my healing yesterday.  I praise Your Holy Name for the empowerment You give me to expect and believe.  Lord, thank You for empowering me over the balance issue yesterday.  I praise You  for being the One who empowers me!  I praise You for being My Authority!  Amen.

No comments: