Monday, November 18, 2013

James 1:2-3; 12 - "Blessings"

Saturday I spoke to a group of ladies at the Bucyrus Church of the Nazarene.  The topic of the event was "Cornucopia of Blessings" and I was truly blessed myself.  I had a cornucopia with different fruits/veggies in it.  As I went through the different fruits I related them to blessings in our every day life.  A part of what I said went like this…

  • Have you ever got ahold of a bad grape?  We all have.
    • Those bad grapes represent when we have the death of a loved one or when we have a prodigal son that our heart is breaking over.
      • We have to make the decision to not allow a bad taste to stay in our mouth but rather to be joyful as we are told in James 1:2-3.
        • Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
          • I use to think this was the most ridiculous scripture in the Bible.
            • Think about it...be joyful when going through junk in this life...I don’t think so.  But I have learned the way to be joyful in the midst of chaos is to be living in the Lord’s Presence.  That means 24/7 being in tune with Him.  

These words are hitting me as I am dealing with a trial right now that is no fun at all.  I have to practice what I preach and not allow this trial to pull me down.  Rather I must allow the Lord to be glorified through it.  When I do I know I will persevere and I will have victory.  How will I receive victory?  It can only come through staying in the Lord's Presence.  I have to allow Him to work through the situation.  It is out of my hands.  

That chapter in James goes on in verse 12 to read:

Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.

The trials of life can be seen as blessings if we look to the Lord.  It is through those trials that we must persevere.  It is through our perseverance that we will be blessed in abundance.  That's what I wantblessings in abundance.  Some may say it's wrong to ask the Lord to bless you.  I don't believe that at all.  I believe His desire is to bless us.  James 4:2 says, "You do not have because you do not ask."

I ended Saturday with this:  "Wherever you are in life...whatever you are going through...I pray for blessings on you in a mighty way."  This morning I am praying blessings over the trial I am going through.  I am praying for the Lord to be so real to all involved.  

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for being My Lord of Lord and King of Kings.  I praise Your Holy Name for Your words Saturday.  I also praise Your Holy Name for the reminder this morning about being joyful in tough times.  Thank You for the scriptures You brought to my mind.  I praise You Father as You will be glorified in this situation.  Thank You for being in control.  Thank You Lord for being My Joy Maker!  Amen.





No comments: