Sunday, November 3, 2013

I Peter 4:7-11 - Giving Of Ourselves

What a beautiful morning...the sun is shining so pretty!  How appropriate for the Lord's Day!  I know every day is the Lord's Day and I know we need to worship Him every day but there's just something special about Sundays.

I remember growing up how Mom would cook a big Sunday lunch and then when we went to church Dad would ask a "few" people home with us.  We never knew who was coming to Sunday dinner or how many!  Anytime we had revival at church our home was always opened up for a meal for all the preachers and their families.  I'm so grateful for the gift of hospitality the Lord gave my parents.  If people were sick or there was a death, a meal was taken.  If someone had a baby, a meal was taken.  Quarts of their vegetable soup were taken to many shut-ins over the years.  I may not do all they did but I try to reach out as much as I can.  I love to drop off soup or goodies to people.  I think my favorite part of it is when the Lord puts someone on my heart and when I drop something off they tell me they needed the encouragement so much.  That's one reason I try to never dismiss when the Lord tells me to do something.  

I Peter 4 reads...

The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. 10 Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. 11 If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God.If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

I think a key point in these scriptures is in verse eleven.  "...If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ."  I may not always have the strength to do physical things but it is in those times that I can make phone calls or send cards.  Too many times people get discouraged with their own circumstances and don't give like the Lord desires of them.  My parents gave me the example to look to others not ourselves.  They were always giving of themselves and for that I am grateful.  I praise the Lord for the example they gave me.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the example my parents gave me to give of myself.  I praise You for giving me the strength to be here with my Momma during this time.  I praise You for the good night's rest she had last night.  Lord, please be with Doc and my church family today.  It's weird to not be there but I know I am where I need to be.  I praise You Lord for being My Strength.  Amen.

No comments: