Thursday, August 1, 2013

Romans 8:1 - Birthverse

It's so funny to think about how much life has changed over the years...

It use to be that birthday greetings would come in the mail from relatives who didn't live close by.  Today it comes in the form of a text.  

It use to be very few people remembered or even knew about birthdays.  Today Facebook makes it public knowledge.

It use to be, as a child, I wanted presents.  Today I seek the Lord's Presence more than anything.

It use to be that birthday money was spent on me.  Today I buy for Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes and things for my grand babies.

I love the way my parents made me feel special growing up.  I didn't always have what I "wanted" but I always had what I needed and I was always loved.  I am so thankful for the Christian upbringing I was given.  I'm also grateful for the characteristics that were passed on to me to show love and compassion to others.  Most of all I am thankful for the way I was raised to know the Lord loves me and desires to have all of me.

I came upon this "Birthverse" today.....


Today's Birthverse is:
August 1
therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,
Romans 8:1 NIV

I checked out a commentary on this verse and read:  "The apostle having discoursed largely in the preceding chapter, concerning the struggle and combat believers feel within themselves, and opened the true causes and reasons of the saints' grievances and complaints, and what gives them the greatest uneasiness in this life, proceeds in this to take notice of the solid ground and foundation they have of spiritual peace and joy; which arise from their justification and adoption, the purposes and decrees of God, and particularly the everlasting and unchangeable love of God in Christ, the source, spring, and security, of all the blessings of grace."

Woo hoo!  Praise the Lord for "spiritual peace and joy"!!!!  I praise His Holy Name for His Presence!!!  I praise Him for His love, His mercy and His grace!!!  Without Him, I am nothing.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for today, my birthday.  Thank You for bringing me to this earth with the parents I have/had.  Thank You for blessing me in abundance over and over again.  Thank You for giving me the privilege to be a Mommy and a Grandma/Memaw.  Thank You for giving me a husband who loves me enough to overlook my flaws.  Lord, this past year has been a tough year in a lot of ways but I know I have grown through the trials.  I pray for more of Your Presence in my life as I start another year.  I suppose if I pray for more growth that means there will be more trials and no one likes to deal with them.  But Father I am saying today, "Whatever it takes" for me to be closer to You is what I desire.  Thank You Jesus for being My Presence.  Amen.

No comments: