Friday, August 2, 2013

Ephesians 2 - "Nothing"

The Lord took me to Ephesians 2 this morning...

As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath.But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy,made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works,so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

He directed me specifically to verse 10.  "For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."  In my prayers this morning I was praying for some people who have been in some circumstances this week that are less than desirable to be in.  I questioned God on why verse 10 was the one I was to concentrate on.  

I went to Matthew Henry's commentary and found:  "A state of sin is a state of conformity to this world. Wicked men are slaves to Satan. Satan is the author of that proud, carnal disposition which there is in ungodly men; he rules in the hearts of men."   As I think on these situations, satan is definitely the root of the issues.  How do we deal with him when he is so greatly involved in others lives?  How do we deal with the issues that effect us when he is so greatly involved in others lives?  Yes, I pray for the ones involved but what else can I do?  "Nothing."  That was the response the Lord gave me.  My response to that was, "What?  What do You mean 'nothing'?"  Once again He responded, "Nothing."  I feel like I'm failing when I do "nothing"...I feel like I need to be doing something....I need to figure out a way to fix the issues.  But I am to pray and do "nothing".  I don't understand.

The next part of Henry's commentary says specifically about verse 10:  "It was his purpose, to which he prepared us, by blessing us with the knowledge of his will, and his Holy Spirit producing such a change in us, that we should glorify God by our good conversation, and perseverance in holiness. None can from Scripture abuse this doctrine, or accuse it of any tendency to evil. All who do so, are without excuse."  I praise the Lord for the change He made in me many years ago.  I also pray for that same change to happen in people who don't have "...the knowledge of his will..."  The circumstances I am praying for this morning are both ones with such people.  

Dear Jesus,
I praise You for changing me!  I praise You for loving me!  I praise You for creating me!  Lord, I must admit I didn't like Your answer this morning.  These situations are effecting me and those around me.  How can I do "nothing"?  Isn't there something I can do to change things? I will keep praying for souls to be saved in both circumstances but what about the junk that is occurring right now?  I'm sorry Lord.  I will obey.  I will not manipulate.  I will listen.  Bless my prayers in a mighty way.  Thank You Lord for being My Savior!  Amen.

No comments: