Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Acts 9:36-43 - Study on Dorcas Part II


Acts 9:36-43

New International Version (NIV)
36 In Joppa there was a disciple named Tabitha (in Greek her name is Dorcas); she was always doing good and helping the poor. 37 About that time she became sick and died, and her body was washed and placed in an upstairs room. 38 Lydda was near Joppa; so when the disciples heard that Peter was in Lydda, they sent two men to him and urged him, “Please come at once!”
39 Peter went with them, and when he arrived he was taken upstairs to the room. All the widows stood around him, crying and showing him the robes and other clothing that Dorcas had made while she was still with them.
40 Peter sent them all out of the room; then he got down on his knees and prayed. Turning toward the dead woman, he said, “Tabitha, get up.” She opened her eyes, and seeing Peter she sat up. 41 He took her by the hand and helped her to her feet. Then he called for the believers, especially the widows, and presented her to them alive. 42 This became known all over Joppa, and many people believed in the Lord. 43 Peter stayed in Joppa for some time with a tanner named Simon.


It was interesting how when the phone rang during the night the Lord brought Dorcas to my mind.  I was tempted to get up then and start reading more about her but I went back to sleep.  I know if I would have been suppose to get up He would have kept me awake.

As I read more about Dorcas, she sounds like one fine lady.  To be called "a disciple" back in those days was highly unusual for a female.  That showed she followed the Lord in a mighty way.  She didn't just half-heartedly follow Him but she did as He desired.  Another thing that shows her relationship with the Lord is that it is the first thing that is said about her.
The next thing we read about her is "she was always doing good and helping the poor."  She was given the gift and used it well.  She had the ability to make garments and shared that gift.  I think of how my Daddy liked to make vegetable soup and potato salad.  He would make it and then give it away.  If my parents knew of someone who was sick or even just needed to be cheered up, they would drop off food to them.  That makes me chuckle.  They always thought food was the answer to everything.  LOL  As I think about Dorcas I think about how she shared.  She was a generous person.  That's my goal.  I want people to see me as a generous person.  I don't want people to see just the things I do but rather I want them to see how my relationship with the Lord effects the things I do.  "This became known all over Joppa, and many people believed in the Lord."  Dorcus' death had a purpose.  That purpose was so the Lord could bring her back to life in order for others to believe.  This makes me stop and think about the things that happen in my life.  What is the Lord's purpose for them?  As I think about the many physical healings I have received I know they are because the Lord wants others to see my faith.  I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, my MS is because the Lord is glorified through it.  The desire of my heart is to further His Kingdom.  I praise Him for every opportunity He puts before me to share His Love with others.  I don't understand why I am chosen to do the things I am but I do know He loves me and directs my path.  I also know His Direction is clear when I am in His Presence, able to listen to Him.  

I am reminded Colossians 3:17...."And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  I believe this would have been Dorcas' life verse.  She gave her all for the Lord.  When the Lord presented opportunities before her to love on the widows, she went through the open doors.  When He gave her the opportunity to come back to life, she went through the open door.  I know I have had a lot of open doors the Lord has led me through.  I wonder how many open doors I missed because I couldn't hear the Lord.  Or perhaps I was too busy to take the opportunity.  Or maybe I missed an opportunity because I was trying to please others instead of the Lord.  I don't want to miss any open doors He puts before me, no matter what the reason is.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for bringing Dorcas to me to study.  I wonder if the reason You did is because I'm missing open doors of opportunity.  Father, please keep my focus on what You desire of me.  I pray for open doors to be revealed in a mighty way.  Thank You Jesus for being My Open Door!  Amen.



No comments: