Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Acts 9:36-43 - Dorcus Study Part III

Once again the Lord said "Dorcas" when I woke up this morning...


Acts 9:36-43

New International Version (NIV)
36 In Joppa there was a disciple named Tabitha (in Greek her name is Dorcas); she was always doing good and helping the poor. 37 About that time she became sick and died, and her body was washed and placed in an upstairs room. 38 Lydda was near Joppa; so when the disciples heard that Peter was in Lydda, they sent two men to him and urged him, “Please come at once!”
39 Peter went with them, and when he arrived he was taken upstairs to the room. All the widows stood around him, crying and showing him the robes and other clothing that Dorcas had made while she was still with them.
40 Peter sent them all out of the room; then he got down on his knees and prayed. Turning toward the dead woman, he said, “Tabitha, get up.” She opened her eyes, and seeing Peter she sat up. 41 He took her by the hand and helped her to her feet. Then he called for the believers, especially the widows, and presented her to them alive. 42 This became known all over Joppa, and many people believed in the Lord. 43 Peter stayed in Joppa for some time with a tanner named Simon.


It wasn't Dorcas' faith that brought her back to life.  Did the widows gain faith through watching Dorcas?  Peter definitely had the faith for her to come back to life.  Did the Lord use this situation to grow Peter's faith?  Probably.  Did He use this situation to grow Dorcas' faith?  Probably.  Did He use this situation to grow the widow's faith?  Probably.  I know myself when I've been healed my faith has grown along with others who have witnessed the healing.

Yesterday I asked the Lord to reveal to me what He wants me to get from this study on Dorcas.  I'm still waiting on His answer but I know as long as He continues to direct me this direction I will continue.  I have to wonder if I'm missing opportunities to take care of the poor and/or the widows.  I also wonder if people see me as someone with strong faith.  I sure hope so.  I also hope what I do for the Lord always glorifies Him and not myself.  

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for leading me again to the story of Dorcas.  Lord, as I prayed yesterday, please reveal to me exactly what You want me to get from this study.  Father, if I ever have glorified myself instead of You, please forgive me.  Lord, Your Will be done in my life.  I pray for many to come to know You through me.  Open doors for opportunities to share You with others.  Thank You Jesus for being My Opportunity Maker!  Amen.

No comments: