Thursday, May 30, 2013

Ecclesiastes 12

The Lord took me to Ecclesiastes 12 this morning...


Ecclesiastes 12

New International Version (NIV)
12 Remember your Creator
    in the days of your youth,
before the days of trouble come
    and the years approach when you will say,
    “I find no pleasure in them”—
before the sun and the light
    and the moon and the stars grow dark,
    and the clouds return after the rain;
when the keepers of the house tremble,
    and the strong men stoop,
when the grinders cease because they are few,
    and those looking through the windows grow dim;
when the doors to the street are closed
    and the sound of grinding fades;
when people rise up at the sound of birds,
    but all their songs grow faint;
when people are afraid of heights
    and of dangers in the streets;
when the almond tree blossoms
    and the grasshopper drags itself along
    and desire no longer is stirred.
Then people go to their eternal home
    and mourners go about the streets.
Remember him—before the silver cord is severed,
    and the golden bowl is broken;
before the pitcher is shattered at the spring,
    and the wheel broken at the well,
and the dust returns to the ground it came from,
    and the spirit returns to God who gave it.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher.[a]
    “Everything is meaningless!

The Conclusion of the Matter

Not only was the Teacher wise, but he also imparted knowledge to the people. He pondered and searched out and set in order many proverbs. 10 The Teacher searched to find just the right words, and what he wrote was upright and true.
11 The words of the wise are like goads, their collected sayings like firmly embedded nails—given by one shepherd.[b] 12 Be warned, my son, of anything in addition to them.
Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.
13 Now all has been heard;
    here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep his commandments,
    for this is the duty of all mankind.
14 For God will bring every deed into judgment,
    including every hidden thing,
    whether it is good or evil.



Verse eleven stuck out to me.  "The words of the wise are like goads, their collected sayings like firmly embedded nails---given by one shepherd."  First I had to find out what "goads" mean.  "An agent or means of prodding or urging; a stimulus."  What Solomon was saying
here is the value of the Scripture is that it takes you where you wouldn't normally go.  It prods us along until we find the answer the Lord wants us to get.  Sometimes it takes reading and reading and reading again something before it finally sinks in.  Sometimes it takes reading one scripture and then going on to another before we finally get it.

I like the word picture of Scripture being "...like firmly embedded nails..."  It is always there to comfort, teach, encourage, etc.  I think back of how the Lord gave me Philippians 4:13 so many years ago as I was going through the MS diagnosis.  It has been embedded in my mind since.  Another verse that is embedded in my mind is II Timothy 1:7.  Another one that I pray all the time is the words of Jesus in Luke 22:42 when He prayed to His Father.  "Not my will, but yours be done."  No matter what the situation there is a blessing in pulling scriptures from my memory bank.  

What power there is in God's Word!  Woo hoo!  You can't find that same power in just any book.  It is only found in His Word because it is the only one "...given by one shepherd."  Praise His Holy Name!  I love the word picture this phrase gives of the Shepherd.  We are His sheep.  When He sees us wandering, He is there to pull us back into the fold.  

The last three verses of this chapter are ones that explain the importance of Scripture.  We can read and search other books but ultimately what we need is found in His Word.  In this last chapter, Solomon was making the reader aware of the importance of life in general.  The last two verses remind us to honor and obey God.  They also remind us that we can't keep anything in secret from Him.  

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for these words today.  They have reminded me the importance of Your Word.  I pray that as I go throughout my day I will be goaded to do Your Will.  I pray the scriptures that are embedded in my mind will not only come into my thoughts today but will also flow from my lips like honey.  Lord, Your Word is powerful and I praise You that when I speak it then I am empowered.  Father, You know what my day holds and I pray You will enable me to be You to all that I meet.  Amen.

No comments: