Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Psalm 19:7-14 - Revelation

The Lord took me to Psalm 19 this morning, specifically verses 7-14. Matthew Henry writes:  "God’s glory, (that is, his goodness to man) appears much in the works of creation, but much more in and by divine revelation. The holy scripture, as it is a rule both of our duty to God and of our expectation from him, is of much greater use and benefit to us than day or night, than the air we breathe in, or the light of the sun. The discoveries made of God by his works might have served if man had retained his integrity; but, to recover him out of his fallen state, another course must be taken; that must be done by the word of God."

The law of the Lord is perfect,
    refreshing the soul.
The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy,
    making wise the simple.
The precepts of the Lord are right,
    giving joy to the heart.
The commands of the Lord are radiant,
    giving light to the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is pure,
    enduring forever.
The decrees of the Lord are firm,
    and all of them are righteous.
10 They are more precious than gold,
    than much pure gold;
they are sweeter than honey,
    than honey from the honeycomb.
11 By them your servant is warned;
    in keeping them there is great reward.
12 But who can discern their own errors?
    Forgive my hidden faults.
13 Keep your servant also from willful sins;
    may they not rule over me.
Then I will be blameless,
    innocent of great transgression.
14 May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart
    be pleasing in your sight,
    Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.




God's Word is perfect...trustworthy...right...radiant...pure...firm.  So why do we go elsewhere when we are making a decision or trying to figure something out?  King David knew how special the Word of God is.  He shows us in verses ten and eleven the value of it.  "...more precious than gold...sweeter than honey..in keeping them there is great reward."  The ultimate value in keeping God's Word is that of eternity with the Lord.  "The great reward" King David speaks of is that of living eternally with the Lord when we keep His commandments.  The desire of our heart should be to live according to how the Lord wants us to.  
King David prayed in these verses against sin.  Matthew Henry writes:  "All the discoveries of sin made to us by the law should drive us to the throne of grace, there to pray, as David does here."  The "hidden faults" in verse 12 are not things hidden from God because that is not possible.  They are sins we aren't even aware of ourselves.  Praise the Lord for His grace not only for unknown sin but also for "willful sins".    
I absolutely love verse 14.  May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.  After praying for his sins King David continues on begging the Lord to accept his affection toward Him.  Matthew Henry writes:  "What encouragement he had to hope for this, because God was his strength and his redeemer. If we seek assistance from God as our strength in our religious duties, we may hope to find acceptance with God in the discharge of our duties; for by his strength we have power with him. In singing this we should get our hearts much affected with the excellency of the word of God and delivered into it, we should be much affected with the evil of sin, the danger we are in of it and the danger we are in by it, and we should fetch in help from heaven against it." Woo hoo!  
The desire of my heart is to live as the Lord so desires.  How can I do that?  By living in His Presence where I hear His voice and sense the direction to go.  I was thinking yesterday about how I sometimes say things such as, "I use to be able to do this or that before MS."   If I am truly living in His Presence, then I need to accept that what I do or don't do is His Will.  There's a sense of freedom in that thinking.  This realization is helpful in that I don't have to feel guilty when I am resting.  When He tells me to rest, I better be resting.  If I don't, then I'm not listening to Him.  Shame on me!  
Dear Jesus,
I feel like I've taken another step in my walk in Your Presence with the realization of how I need to see myself.  Up until this point I've thought about living in Your Presence so I could hear what You want me to do as I am Jesus to others or as I draw closer to You.  Now I realize Your Direction includes things even as simple as my daily rest time.  I praise You Lord for this new freedom You have given me.  Thank You Lord for this revelation!  I pray Psalm 19:14 this morning..."May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer."  Amen.

No comments: