Monday, May 13, 2013

Hebrews 11:1 - "What Faith Can Do

I woke up this morning singing Kutless' "What Faith Can Do" and thought about how much my faith has grown as I've learned to live in the Lord's Presence.  I use to think I had faith but what I had before was only a portion of what I have now.  I can relate to the chorus of this song in a great way.

"I’ve seen dreams that move the mountains
Hope that doesn’t ever end
Even when the sky is falling
And I’ve seen miracles just happen
Silent prayers get answered 
Broken hearts become brand new
That’s what faith can do"

I've seen miracle after miracle happen not only in others but also in myself.  I know the reason is because of the closeness of living in His Presence.  The saying, "you have to walk the walk, not just talk the talk" only skims the surface.  We can't just "walk the walk" so to speak but we have to go deeper in our walk with the Lord.  In order to live in His Presence we must exercise our faith in Him as we hear from Him.  It's not wrong to just "walk the walk" but if we want more of Him we must go deeper.  The desire of our heart has to be to hear from Him.  The only way that desire will be fulfilled is by surrendering everything to Him.  

The song continues...

"It doesn’t matter what you’ve heard
Impossible is not a word
It’s just a reason for someone not to try
Everybody’s scared to death
When they decide to take that step
Out on the water
It’ll be alright
Life is so much more
Than just what your eyes are seeing
You will find your way
If you keep believing"

The enemy will give us reason after reason as to why we shouldn't trust the Lord.  But those are just lies.  He will put people and situations in front of us that look better than being in surrender to the Lord.  A new car we don't really need, another pair of shoes we don't really need...anything to take away from our checkbook instead of us surrendering it to Him.  A book to read with sex or foul language in it instead of picking up our Bible.  A friend who asks us to go shopping instead of going to church.  There are all kinds of subtle (and some not so subtle) ways the enemy tries to get us away from a life of surrender to the Lord.  But we must remember the Lord is greater than the enemy.

"Overcome the odds
You do have a chance
(That’s what faith can do)
When the world says you can’t
It’ll tell you that you can!"

Faith in the Lord is something we must work on.  It doesn't just happen but rather we must develop it in ourselves.  We must nurture it so it will grow.  How do we do that?  Living a life of surrender is the best way.  When I think of the first part of this song, I think about how many times the Lord has picked me up and given me another chance.  Praise His Holy Name!

"Everybody falls sometimes
Gotta find the strength to rise
From the ashes and make a new beginning
Anyone can feel the ache
You think it’s more than you can take
But you are stronger, stronger than you know
Don’t you give up now
The sun will soon be shining
You gotta face the clouds
To find the silver lining"

Ephesians 1:17-18 reads, “That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,”  I praise the Lord for enlightening me so that I can see Him clearer.  I hear from Him more clearly.  He is not someone who lived many years ago that I read about in the Bible.  He is my reality.  He is the reality of my faith.  I am reminded of a verse I learned when I was a little girl, Hebrews 11:1.  "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."  He is my substance.  He is my hope.  I may not physically see Him but I definitely see the Works of His Hands happening in my life.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for being the reality of a faith that You have grown in me in a mighty way.  Thank You for giving me hope when I felt like there was none.  Thank You for showing me how to "...face the clouds to find the silver lining."  Woo hoo!  I love where You have brought me in my Christian walk and I look forward to going even deeper in it.  Father, today is a new day.  You know the things that "need" done but Father, I ask for clarity for me to see the opportunities You put before me to be You to others.  Amen.


















No comments: