Monday, March 9, 2015

Psalm 61 - "Praise You In The Storm"


Yesterday seemed to be filled with hearing people who are dealing with some very difficult situations. What amazes me is how some believers will choose to draw closer to the Lord while others pull away from Him. My heart breaks for those who choose to turn away from Him instead of allowing Him to be there for them. He will be our Rock when we allow Him to be. He will be our Refuge when we draw near to Him. I like what Matthew Henry says about Psalm 61...

“God's power and promise are a rock that is higher than we are. This rock is Christ. On the Divine mercy, as on a rock, David desired to rest his soul; but he was like a ship-wrecked sailor, exposed to the billows at the bottom of a rock too high for him to climb without help. David found that he could not be fixed on the Rock of salvation, unless the Lord placed him upon it. As there is safety in Him, and none in ourselves, let us pray to be led to and fixed upon Christ our Rock.”

Too many times people try to take care of their problems on their own. If they would only allow the Lord to take care of things, it would be so much easier. Some situations I don’t understand since I’ve never been through them while others I can relate to. No matter what I know the Lord has answers for every situation we find ourselves in. 

The promises found in the last part of Psalm 61 encourage me to allow the Lord to be glorified in every situation I face. These words encourage me to live in His presence daily. They encourage me to praise Him through the storms of life. As I stay in His presence I will live in His love in a deeper way than I ever that possible. I love these words of Matthew Henry...

“If we partake of that grace and truth which came by Jesus Christ, we may praise him, whatever be our outward circumstances. But renewed experience of God's mercy and truth towards his people in Christ, is the main matter of our joy in him, and our praise unto him.”

Casting Crowns "Praise You In The Storm" chorus is about what it means to be able to praise Him through the storms of life. He gives us free choice. It is up to us whether we chose to walk away from Him or walk into Him and allow Him to enable us to get through the storms of life.  

And I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
And every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

The key to being able to praise Him during the storm is found in these words of the song

I lift my eyes unto the hills
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
The Maker of Heaven and Earth

Dear Jesus,

Thank You for always being with me...no matter what storm of life I am going through. Thank You for drawing me closer to You and not allowing me to stray into a darkness that the enemy would so like me to go into. Thank You for giving me more of You and less of me in order for me to live in Your presence. Lord, I pray for the ones who talked with me yesterday who are going through difficult times. I pray for the husband/father to draw closer to You. I pray for the one who was hurt so greatly by words of someone in their church. I pray for the one who is living in a very difficult home situation. Lord, touch each of these ones...draw them closer to You. Thank You Jesus for being My Strong Tower. Amen.


No comments: