Monday, December 2, 2013

I Peter 5:6-10 - "I'd Need A Savior"

I woke up this morning singing Third Day's "I'd Need A Savior."  It goes like this…

How many names can I use to explain the love of my Jesus,
the life that he gave and so many times will I praise you today.
I lift up my life ‘cause you're always the same
And my offering to you I bring

Chorus:
Your name is Jesus. Your name is Jesus.
You're the Wonderful, Counselor, my Friend. 
You're what I hold on to; I know that you brought me through 
All the days of loss, to the cross you knew 
I'd need a Savior.

How many songs can I sing to proclaim your wondrous love and beauty so great?
What would I say if you brought down the rain and everyday
I walk through the pain my heart would still say…

Chorus:

You're what I hold on to; I know that you brought me through 
All the days of loss, to the cross you knew 
I'd need a Savior.
I'd need a Savior
I need you, Savior

I thought about how many people in my little world have Jesus as their Savior but won't allow Him to be King of Kings and Lord of Lords of their life.  Many people will accept Him on their terms yet won't let go of things they are holding onto to for fear they will lose control.  I personally don't want control.  I use to but not anymore.  When I came to the realization that I really didn't have control in the first place, I surrendered all to Him.  The only way we can heed to the words of I Peter 5:6-10 is to surrender to the Lord.



Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.







I love the promise found in that last verse. "And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you."  Woo hoo!  He will restore.  He will confirm.  He will strengthen.  He will establish.  What does it take to see these promises fulfilled?  Complete surrender to Him.  Letting go of what we think we have control over.  Allowing the Lord to work His wonderful ways instead of manipulating circumstances to go our way.  








In C.J. Mahaney’s short book Humility: True Greatness it gives us a plan on how to cultivate humility….


ALWAYS:
  1. Reflect on the wonder of the cross of Christ.
AS EACH DAY BEGINS:
  1. Begin your day by acknowledging your dependence upon God and your need for God.
  2. Begin your day expressing gratefulness to God.
  3. Practice spiritual disciplines — prayer, study of God’s Word, worship. Do this consistently each day and at the day’s outset, if possible.
  4. Seize your commute time to memorize and meditate on Scripture.
  5. Cast your cares upon Him, for He cares for you.
AS EACH DAY ENDS:
  1. At the end of the day, transfer the glory to God.
  2. Before going to sleep, receive this gift of sleep from God and acknowledge His purpose for sleep.
FOR SPECIAL FOCUS:
  1. Study the attributes of God.
  2. Study the doctrines of grace.
  3. Study the doctrine of sin.
  4. Play golf as much as possible. (or some activity that gives your mind release)
  5. Laugh often, and laugh often at yourself.
THROUGHOUT YOUR DAYS AND WEEKS:
  1. Identify evidences of grace in others.
  2. Encourage and serve others each and every day.
  3. Invite and pursue correction.
  4. Respond humbly to trials.




Dear Jesus,





Thank You for the promise that You will "...restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish…" me.  Thank You for leading me into a life of surrender.  I pray when my "...adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour…" I will have Your strength to "Resist him, firm in my faith…"  Lord, You are My Desire.  You are the One I want to please.  You are the One I take direction from.  I am so grateful for all You do for me and in me.  Thank You Jesus for being More Than My Savior.  Amen.



























No comments: