Wednesday, December 11, 2013

I Peter 1:6-7 - The Lord's Peace

Deaths, deaths, deaths….it seems like every time I turn around I hear of another death.  Death is always a tough thing to deal with but when it comes around the holidays or when a family has multiple deaths close together it seems to be so much harder.  When the death is in someone young, it makes you wonder "why?"  As I think about these families I pray for them to lean on the Lord's strength to get them through the days ahead.  I also pray for those who don't know His strength.  I pray someone will say something to them to make a difference.  I personally have never lost a spouse, child or  mother so I may not be able to say the right thing to them but I know the Lord has just what they need.  

Yesterday was the one year anniversary of my sister-in-law's death.  I remember being in her room in the last hours, praying with her.  I remember the peace she had in knowing where she was going.  It wasn't that she was ready to leave this earth but she knew it was God's plan and she accepted it.  It was this time of year last year that we ministered to a family who had two deaths within a week.  The grieving was doubled and came so heavy.  Thankfully they are leaning on the Lord each and every day.  It was also this time of year last year that we had others who lost loved ones.  Sometimes I wonder why but then the Lord quickly reminds me He is in control and knows what's best.

I sit here this morning and wonder…how do people get through things such as loss of loved ones without Him…  I can't even begin to imagine.  I think of the words found in I Peter 1:6-7 which gives us hope of eternal life.

So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while. These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold -- though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world.

"…wonderful joy…"  That's what we all can have when we live a life for Him.  Does it take our sorrow away?  No, but it helps us to endure and keep pressing on.  Does it make our life perfect?  Not in a worldly sense but definitely in an eternal sense.  Peace, His Perfect Peace is only available through a life with Him.

I am praying His peace over many today…
…the three wives who are burying their husbands
…the wife who just buried her sister yesterday and will be burying her husband 
…the parents who are burying their teen son
…the wife and sons who are standing over the bed in ICU of their husband/father 
…the two ladies having surgery along with their families
…the young lady who totaled her car and had to have surgery
…the young couple who are dealing with major health issues with their newborn
…the one with multiple injuries who doesn't know the Lord…I pray for someone to say something to open her eyes to the Lord

Dear Jesus,
My list is overwhelming with so many hurting people.  I pray for those who don't know You, to find You.  I pray for those who do know You, to lean upon You.  Lord we all need to be ready for when our time on earth is up.  I pray for people to not look to ways of the world to find their happiness but rather to look to You.  I pray people will believe the words of John 14:27.  "I am leaving you with a gift -- peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don't be troubled or afraid."   I pray Your peace over all.  Thank You Jesus for being My Peace.  Amen.

No comments: