Thursday, November 30, 2023

Philippians 4:8 - "The More I Seek You"

We find the story of Mary honoring Jesus in John 12. She had great reason to honor Him with the miraculous healing of her brother Lazarus who was brought back to life. This honor went deeper than that action. She knew Jesus was the Messiah and wanted to show Him her love. There are so many lessons we can learn from this story. We see what great lengths Mary went to honor Him. Reading this story makes me ask myself, 'How can I honor Him more? To what extent will I honor Him? What do I have to honor Him in such a beautiful way?' That last question is one I ponder upon this morning. I don't have Jesus here in physical form to perform such an act nor do I have expensive perfume. I do have history such as Mary had with Him performing miracles in her life. I do have the knowledge He is the Messiah who was born to die for each one of us. I cannot imagine having the opportunity to live during the time Jesus walked this earth. It must have been so awesome to sit under His teaching. It also must have been so hard to hear of His impending death and then to experience it. As I read this story there are other questions that come to my mind. Jesus seemed to feel very comfortable in Simon's home. Would He feel comfortable in our home? Would He be offended by anything in our home? I struggle with language on television shows. I often think about Paul's words in Philippians 4:8 where he tells us to focus on things that are true...noble... right...pure... lovely...admirable...excellent...praiseworthy. He continues in verse nine to tell us the result of such living and that is God's peace. I can only imagine Mary lived in God's peace. I do not think she would have been able to honor Jesus as she did without being focused on Him. Mary's example of honoring Him goes beyond the outward sign of using her hair to wash His feet. Her honor shows a deep love for Him. One of the questions I asked last night to the group was this. 'How can we honor God in our daily living?' This is a question we need to keep in the forefront of our mind at all time. This morning I am reminded of the song "The More I Seek You" and am blessed with the desire to focus on Him.

I want to sit at your feet
Drink from the cup in your hand
Lay back against you and breathe, feel your heart beat
This love is so deep, its more than I can stand
I melt in your peace, its overwhelming

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the blessings of yesterday and the ones ahead today! Thank You for Doug, Carol, and Amy decorating the church and for our Bible study last night! Cleanse me so You can fill me so people will see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. I pray Your peace over many going through difficult days. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Doug's sister Jackie; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Beth; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; Brooklyn; April; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Mike's sister; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; a young girl in our community; Audrey; Mr Mullet; Marybeth's friend; David; Dave and Carol with his treatments; Dan; and Ray. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; Debbie and her family; Mr. John; Darrell; Mallory and Baby Zion; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Thank You for being My Peace! Amen. 

No comments: