Saturday, November 25, 2023

Psalm 16; Nehemiah 8:10 - "Same God"

Yesterday was a 'typical' day after Thanksgiving in the sense the fall decorations were put away and Christmas ones were put out. The Christmas tree was decorated which is always one of my favorite things of the season. Doug's larger tree was so much fun as I was able to put all my ornaments on it along with his Mom's ornaments. I downsized when I bought the smaller tree and wish I still had some I gave away but I'm thankful for the ones I have. I love hanging the ornaments my boys made when they were growing up and the ones I've made with my grand babies throughout the years. As I put them on last night I had such fond memories. Making ornaments with the grand babies is one I always look forward to. Plan A is to see them for Christmas but once again this year we have a Plan B, C, etc. for the holidays with my upcoming surgery date possibly being changed. I learned years ago after going through a divorce, celebrations are whatever day you make them. December 25 is not known as the true date of Jesus' birth but is the date chosen to celebrate. This morning as I sit here with the Christmas tree lit in our cozy home I feel so blessed. I know there are many in this world who do not have such blessings. I also know there are many with much larger homes who also feel blessed. No matter where we are in a worldly sense the most important thing is to be in relationship with the Lord. Without Him life would be empty. As I worked on the December worship services over the past week I have been in awe of how He speaks to me. Sometimes I do not stop to listen yet I know that is exactly what I need to do. He blesses me in abundance with His wisdom and direction. A question He has brought for me to ponder upon not only in my personal study but in the upcoming sermon series is this. Why does the story of Mary and Joseph and the divine child born in a manger continue to resonate with us more than 2000 years later? If God would not have sent His Son to this earth in the form of a baby, we would not be here today. His purpose for coming into this world was to be our Savior. Our purpose on this earth is to live in His presence so we walk in obedience to His will for our life. I love the just of these words. The best present we can give is God’s presence in our life. I love giving presents. I enjoy watching people open what I've chosen especially for them. I also love pouring His love into people. God chose us to love others. This includes those who are not in relationship with Him and those who are in relationship with Him. Everyone needs to experience His love and it is found in His presence. I am reminded of Psalm 16:11 this morning. You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence. Yes! We are filled with joy when we live in His presence. That does not mean life will be perfect but it means when we go through struggles God is there to empower us through them. Nehemiah 8:10 speaks of, The joy of the Lord is our strength. Woo hoo! We find such joy in His presence. We also find His wisdom, direction, assurance, etc. His presence takes away confusion and puts hope in place of turmoil. The concept that the same God who put the stars in the sky is writing my life story is one that blesses me in abundance. This morning I have the song "Same God" on my mind...

The same God who makes the planets spin
Tells the tide when it should rise
Put the color in my eyes
The same God who makes the seasons change
Knows the number of the stars
Every secret in my heart

God knows every detail of everything. He knows the number of the grains of sand on the beach. He knows how many hairs are still on my head after I shower. He knows how many leaves are on each tree even as they fall to the ground. That is powerful to think about! The more I pursue His presence in my life the more I will receive His love, wisdom, empowerment, etc. Life can be overwhelming in both 'good' and 'bad' ways. God can be overwhelming in 'good' ways as we allow Him to work in and through us. Psalm 16 is entitled in The Passion Translation, "The Golden Secret." Oh how I pray for more people to experience His presence in their lives.

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the blessings of yesterday with our lunch with Betty and Debbie! Thank You for a 'typical' day after Thanksgiving with Doug and I making memories as we decorated our home for Christmas! Cleanse me so You can fill me so people will see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. I pray Your presence is realized today for many going through 'tough' days. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Doug's sister Jackie; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Beth; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; Brooklyn; April; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Mike's sister; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; Audrey; Mr Mullet; Marybeth's friend; David; Dave and Carol with his treatments; Dan; and Ray. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; Debbie and her family; Mr. John; Darrell; Pam and her family; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Thank You for being My Golden Secret! Amen. 

No comments: