Thursday, December 27, 2018

Psalm 49 - "Joy to the World (Unspeakable Joy)"


I was thinking this morning about when I was going to take down the Christmas tree. It usually happens around New Year's but I'm ready to get the room back to normal so it might happen sooner. When I think about all the work involved, I'm not sure I have the energy to do it. I am thankful it is not as big of an ordeal as when the boys were home and there was a ton of 'junk' to put away. This was the time of year toy boxes were gone through with old toys discarded, closets were cleaned out to make room for new clothes, etc. I have a rule for myself when something new comes in, something old goes out. That means this year five pieces of clothing and two pair of shoes have to be removed. This enables my closet to not become overly full. I watched the people in Indonesia on the news last night who have nothing left and felt guilty for what I have. Most of us in America have too much 'junk' or 'stuff' no matter how hard we try not to. When we moved, we got rid of a lot but yet we still have too much. One thing I wish I wouldn't have got rid of so much of was my winter clothes. The first 'winter' we were here I sure didn't need them but oh my this year I could use them. It is amazing the difference. But if I would have kept all my winter clothing I would just have more 'stuff' and I don't think that is what God desires of us. As far as clothing goes, we can always layer! I believe God desires us to focus on Him. That is the only way we will spend eternal life with Him. We cannot be distracted by 'stuff' of this world. Our lives should be focused on eternal things and not material things. When the boys were growing up, I came to the point in life where I had to choose my battles. I would ask myself one simple question when faced with a situation with them. "Will what they want to do or are doing have a difference in them going to heaven or hell?" If the answer was 'no,' then it was easier for me to allow them to do it. If it was 'yes,' we had a problem. If we were to ask ourselves this question before we did something, before we bought something, etc., it would change the way we live. Psalm 49 shows us how material things can cause unnecessary stress in our lives. It shows how we need to trust God and not 'stuff' (vs 6-7). We will not be taking possessions with us to heaven (vs 17). If we put our trust in 'stuff' instead of in God, He may not take us with Him for eternity. There is nothing wrong with having 'stuff' unless it gets put before God. Then it may become an idol which is not right. The stress of putting 'stuff' before God is something no one has to endure. When one is living with God as King of Kings of their life, that type of stress is eliminated because everything we do is done with His direction. There is joy and peace found in such living. There is the knowledge that eternity with Him is in the future. These particular words are not in Psalm 49 but the concept is...
Morning is a time where we wake up refreshed. It is the beginning of a new day. When we turn everything over to God, we have a new beginning in our relationship with Him. We do not have to worry about the past but instead can look forward to the future. I try to stay focused on my future with spending eternity with Him. I can have joy on this earth as long as I keep my focus on Him but better still is the knowledge of having joy for eternity.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the reminders of Psalm 49 this morning on how to have genuine joy in You. Thank You for the nine hours of sleep last night. Thank You for Doc passing the kidney stone during the night. Thank You for all the ways You love on us. Father, I pray for a cleansing in my spirit so I can be focused on You throughout this day. Fill me to overflowing so people will see/hear You through me. I pray for so many people who are dealing with physical issues. I pray for Ellen as she finally goes home; Cassie in her last weeks of pregnancy; my Momma who had a tough day yesterday; Little Malachi; those going through cancer treatments such as Billie, Little Richie, Little Natalie; those with colds and flu; and those facing medical testing. May Your healing touch come down upon them and their families. Thank You Jesus for being My Genuine Joy. Amen.

No comments: