Thursday, September 4, 2014

Psalm 30:5b - Another Side of Grief



Psalm 30:5b      Weeping may endure for the night, but joy comes in the morning.

When I saw this today, I was blessed with the truth in it.  Death is in abundance these days.  All ages, all circumstances.  It's so hard to continually minister to family after family and sometimes multiple times with the same family.  It makes me miss my Daddy even more.  But as I read this saying I was blessed in the knowledge that the grief does change after a period of time.  That period of time isn't the same for everyone.  But it does change.  You continue to miss your loved one but you begin to remember more of the good times instead of just the tough ones.  I think in situations where you care for a loved one through a terrible illness it is so hard to remember the good times.  It amazes me how different things will bring me to tears over my Daddy.  Walking into a hospital room and seeing a man around my Daddy's age usually gets to me, especially if he has the same demeanor as my Daddy.  

I don't fully understand it but the Lord seems to put older men into my life as part of my healing process.  I met another one the other night that needs the Lord.  I've been asked by the family to talk with him.  My first thought was, "Of course I will talk with him."  My second thought was, "I don't want to lose another one out of my life.  I was so enjoying my relationship with one who just passed on.  And now another one who needs the Lord and is dealing with physical issues…I don't know that I want to take the chance."  The Lord quickly checked me and told me He has called me to share Him with others.  I need to share with this one and I need to do it quickly.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the reminder of this saying today.  Thank You for the strength You have given us these last days as we continue to minister to one family for the fourth time and many other families.  Father, I pray for this one You have put in my life.  I pray for open doors with him.  I pray You will use something I say to bring him to You.  I also pray You will strengthen my heart as I love on people.  Father, yesterday on the way home from the funeral Doc was talking about feeling so exhausted.  Once again, I believe the term is "compassion fatigue" that can used.  Lord, as we go today to minister to another family going through a death please give us the words to say.  I pray for more of You and less of us.  Thank You Jesus for being Our Filler-upper!  Amen.

No comments: