Wednesday, July 15, 2020

II Timothy 1:7; Job 42:2-6 - "Remind Me You're Here"


I woke up this morning to a song Jason Gray sings called Remind Me You're Here. These words struck home with me with the way I've been feeling.

And I won't ask You for reasons
'Cause a reason can't wipe away tears
No, I don't need all the answers
Just be here beside me
Father, remind me You're here

There are days I do ask God 'why?' do things keep happening that are so hard to get through. I ask Him 'why?' there are are many people with diseases such as cancer, Alzheimer's, diabetes, etc. I was reading the story behind this song. I was touched by what Gray said about him writing it after a little girl was kidnapped and got away. He had thanked God for her escape. Then stopped to think about how it's ok to question God about such things.

I struggle with these kinds of questions on a personal level, too, with things that have happened in my own life. It’s hard to make sense of a lot of it. Sometimes it would be easier to just say, “God’s ways are higher than mine …” and hide from the questions. But if I fail to engage with the messy realities of life then I’m afraid my faith is little more than just wishful thinking. These aren’t the most comforting thoughts when talking about the inspiration for a song I hope people will hear on radio stations that aim to be positive and uplifting. And yet, if we are to be “ready to give an answer for the hope we have” (1 Peter 3:15), we must do the work of honestly grappling with questions like these and follow where they lead us. We may be surprised by what we discover along the way.

Gray went on discussing how Job was a good man who lost everything and everyone. His friends tried to comfort him and he tried to understand why life was the way it was. Finally God spoke to him and explained how there are things that happen in life that we won't have answers. The best part of Job's story was the nugget of wisdom found in the end of his story. As Gray wrote, ...in the end, answers may not be what we desire the most anyway. Job said to the Lord in Job 42:2-6 in The Message:
“I’m convinced: You can do anything and everything.
    Nothing and no one can upset your plans.
You asked, ‘Who is this muddying the water,
    ignorantly confusing the issue, second-guessing my purposes?’
I admit it. I was the one. I babbled on about things far beyond me,
    made small talk about wonders way over my head.
You told me, ‘Listen, and let me do the talking.
    Let me ask the questions. You give the answers.’
I admit I once lived by rumors of you;
    now I have it all firsthand—from my own eyes and ears!
I’m sorry—forgive me. I’ll never do that again, I promise!
    I’ll never again live on crusts of hearsay, crumbs of rumor.”
Job realized seeing God was enough. That is what we all need to realize. Having answers to questions is not always necessary. Answers will not make the 'tough' circumstance go away. Answers won't heal. But being in the presence of God will strengthen us to get through 'tough' times. Our focus will be on Him instead of our circumstances when we live in His presence. As we live at Paul's words of II Timothy 1:7 we will live in His love and empowerment. We will not have to make any decisions on our own and will have His joy and peace no matter what is happening. The song continues with...
Get me outta my mind
And into Your arms
Where hope comes alive
And fear falls apart
Yes! Our focus must be on Him instead of ourselves. He desires for us to lean into Him instead of trying to do life on our own. He will use our tears to heal our hurts. There sure have been a lot of tears in our house this week. Emotions are running high but thankfully He is right here with us.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the blessings You gave us yesterday and the ones ahead in this day! Thank You for Doc's blood work being good! Thank You for the flooring that was put into the church building! Thank You for the way You continue to work and through us! Father, I pray for a cleansing in both of us so You can fill us to overflowing with more of You. I pray for Your words, actions, attitude, and thoughts to be ours today. Lord, I pray: strength for Doc as he has chemo today; wisdom for myself as I talk with a subcontractor; protection over my friend Marion and the others in her facility; David as he continues to regain strength in all areas of his body; the contractor and his men as they finish the flooring at the building; wives who are caring for husbands with dementia/Alzheimer's; my sister Linda as she awaits surgery; Cait and Mary Lilley who are having pain; Judy as she recuperates from surgery; one I have been sharing You with to come into relationship with You; Mike Hignight; Norma Hall; Terri Long; Marlene's sister Annie who is having a kidney transplant today; Judy Sampson; a nine year old autistic boy having surgery; and so many who are going through 'tough' days. Lord, may we all realize Your presence is what we need in our lives. May You be greater than anything that people are going through right now. May Your presence be what we all seek. Thank You Jesus for being My Constant! Amen.

No comments: