Sunday, February 5, 2017

I Peter 1:24 - "Word of God"


The Prophet Isaiah is quoted in I Peter 1:24 about how God's Word is not like grass and flowers that die but instead it "goes on and on forever." That tells us that we can depend upon His Word. It will never change. Men may change it to read as they desire but the meaning of The Word never changes. It does not matter which translation you read, the meaning is still the same. Previously in this chapter Peter wrote about the importance of living a holy life. Part of that kind of living is loving others. In fact, he writes in verses twenty-two and twenty-three, "Since you have in obedience to the truth purified our souls" then, and only then, can we have "a sincere love for the brethren, fervently love one another from the heart," (NASB). These verses show the only way to love with Jesus' love is through obedience. We cannot love with His love through our flesh. Many try but it just doesn't work. Loving through our flesh will only bring failure because it is not True Love. I desire to not only believe in Christ but to follow His example by loving everyone. John 3:36 tells us that believing and obedience go hand-in-hand. If we obey Him and live a holy life, the evidence will be the love we show to all people. Not just those we like. Not just those who are nice to us. Not just those who believe as we do. But all. Plain and simple. I remember telling my boys when they were growing up, "You don't have to like everyone but you do have to love everyone with Jesus' love." This is key when we desire to be Christ-like. I am sure He didn't like the things people did or said but He didn't quit loving them. I remember growing up being told "you are to hate the sin but not the sinner" when it came to things people were doing blatantly against God's Word. I personally don't like the word 'hate' but there sure are a lot of people who show that emotion toward others. That saddens me. It breaks my heart to see believers who show hate toward others. It seems in today's society we are seeing more and more of this happening. That shows we are in the last days before Jesus returns. I'm afraid there will be many surprised He does not come back for them. If we aren't living the way His Word directs us to, we can't expect to live with Him for eternity. We must die to self each and every day and live as He desires. Then, and only then, will He return for us. 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the blessing of Your Word. Thank You for the way You reveal things through it. Thank You for the example You give to us on how we are to live. Thank You for the desire in my heart to be Christ-like. Father, today I pray for my attitude to be Your attitude. I know You do not like seeing believers not living out Your love and neither do I. But I also know I must love them if I am being obedient to Your Word. Father, enable me to keep my mouth shut when it is not for Your glory. I pray You will give me opportunity to love on people in a whole new way today. Thank You for the words of Isaiah that remind me that Your Word will never die but will live forever. I pray for all pastors who are going into the pulpit this morning to preach Your Word without deviating from its true meaning. I also pray for those hearing His Word to accept it and live it out in their life. Thank You for being My Example. Amen.


No comments: